Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mechanically inclined, however, I have never worked on a transmission.
I have a small leak from the transfer case.
Question: Is it a seal? Is it a linkage? Both?
How tough is it to repair without a lift and any experience.

Also, how does one check the fluid level to make sure its not low?
What is low?
Have worked on just about everything else but the tranny.

Thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
Buy a manual. Buy a lift. Experience comes from mistakes.
Sounds almost like you were trying to write haiku poetry....zero help to OP.

OP, where is the leak and what T-case model?

Reactions: rdu-jeep

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
The only way you can experience a fluid leak is either a "Bad Seal," or a "Cracked," case. To determine which you will need to remove the TC from the frame and do a thorough inspection.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am mechanically inclined, however, I have never worked on a transmission.
I have a small leak from the transfer case.
Question: Is it a seal? Is it a linkage? Both?
How tough is it to repair without a lift and any experience.

Also, how does one check the fluid level to make sure its not low?
What is low?
Have worked on just about everything else but the tranny.

Thanks
If it is a standard, the fluid can be checked by removing the fill plug and it should be to the bottom of the hole. This can be done without removing anything unless you have full skid plates. I would google it for pictures / youtube as that is how I found them. Transfer case can also be checked since the plugs are on the back of the case. These can be done with no more than a few hand tools, and depending if your jeep is lifted or you have larger tires even without jacking it up. As for the leak, it depends on where it is coming from. Back of the transfer case, it would be a seal assuming you do not have a SYE. If it is in the middle of the skid plate, probably the rear trans seal. If it is red fluid, then transfer case front. Even though I have done a few transmission drops in the past, I went to youtube and watched a few of the videos. Some were more helpful than others. Main thing to remember is that the skid plate holds up the transmission and transfer case, so you must support the transmission before unbolting the skid from the transmission mount and the frame. I dropped the transfer case and the transmission without even using jacks or ramps to raise the vehicle since I am running 35's, so a lift is definitely not needed. Once you have the skid and driveshafts off (and linkages, vent, wiring) then it is easy to split the transfer case off the trans by removing 6 bolts. A 9/16 ratcheting box end is very useful for this since you cannot use a ratchet on most of the 6 bolts. The transfer case can be easily horsed around by one person without a transmission jack, but easier for 2. Once they are split you can replace the rear seal on the trans.

If you are even slightly mechanical, this should not be difficult. Nothing needed other than a couple of basic hand tools, some good jack Stands if you are on stock suspension and tires, and some time. Seals are easy. Drill a small hole being careful not to damage any surfaces, Screw in a drywall screw, and use a claw hammer to pull out. I find this way even easier than using a seal puller.

There are some good you tube videos that will be helpful. As for a manual, I found the videos much more useful, but they do give you torque specs etc.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked the fluid and it is full. Appears to be covering back side of TC in thin layer. I will be getting into it this weekend. Thanks for the advice and tips, except maybe Robinson.
I'll let you know

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
Checked the fluid and it is full. Appears to be covering back side of TC in thin layer. I will be getting into it this weekend. Thanks for the advice and tips, except maybe Robinson.
I'll let you know
There's really only three likely places for the transfer case to leak from... its front input shaft seal, its rear output shaft seal, or from around the speedometer gear housing on the driver's side.

My bet is the speedometer gear housing is the cause of the leak, it has an o-ring inside that will let the ATF leak out if it is nicked when someone removes it to replace the speedometer gear to recalibrate the speedometer after a tire size change.

Once the speedometer gear housing has been removed, which is easy, you'll see the o-ring on the housing that you removed. I had the same leak years ago and the dealer sold me a new o-ring for $1.50.

Mark the position of the speedometer gear housing before you remove it so you can reinstall it at the correct rotational position. That way you won't have to worry about the instructions in the below photo. You just need a 1/2" wrench to remove the single bolt (the rusty one in the photo) that holds it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts