Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1991 with a 3.5 inch lift,and a manual trans.
my question is could this cause a problem adjusting my t case shift rod?
it seems as if there is not enough travel in the rod to get all positions.
any help?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
A big BODY lift can cause issues because the shifter binds against the boot and floor but a suspension lift would not

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Or a transfer case drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Or a motor mount lift.

Good luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,933 Posts
I trimmed the inner boot at the very back, more of a Slice really, to allow the shifter to travel all the way back. Ticked me off a little cause if I had known the new one would be that stiff I would have just run with the old one. lol

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
The transfer case drop certainly changes the relationship between the transfer case and the shifter. You just might have to get a little creative to get things working as they should. You could look into the Novak cable shifter if you feel like spending a little money.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The transfer case drop certainly changes the relationship between the transfer case and the shifter. You just might have to get a little creative to get things working as they should. You could look into the Novak cable shifter if you feel like spending a little money.
No it doesn't... a yj t case shifter is mounted to the trans and t case....

·
Registered
264 Posts
For around $20 you can grab a Transfer case linkage drop bracket from Rugged Ridge that will drop the mounting point on the body side so you'll be able to adjust your linkage properly. A good way to check this before you buy is to look at the horizontal pivot bar of the linkage and if it's noticeably higher on the body mount side, this will work for you as it uses a bracket to drop that end. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
For around $20 you can grab a Transfer case linkage drop bracket from Rugged Ridge that will drop the mounting point on the body side so you'll be able to adjust your linkage properly. A good way to check this before you buy is to look at the horizontal pivot bar of the linkage and if it's noticeably higher on the body mount side, this will work for you as it uses a bracket to drop that end. Good luck.
No you can't and no it isn't... that's for tj's as I said above yj's don't work that way.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,933 Posts
OP posted an earlier pic in a post that looks like he's got a TC Drop, and he posted back in June that he Had to adjust the linkage back then.

Methinks he may have a problem at both ends, TC drop limiting rearward shifter movement, And Having adjusted it once back in line, He may have forced back out of adjustment due to the travel limit on the stick.

Dopp, You might want to crawl under there and watch the linkage / shifter travelwhile somebody runs through the shift pattern.

Go into my manuals, the 89 tells how to properly adjust the linkage in section 21-233
Pg 1021on the table of contents.
Good luck

·
Registered
264 Posts
I stand corrected by Gottagofast, I was working on both a TJ and a YJ over the same weekend. Putting a linkage drop in the TJ and a new internal slave cylinder into the YJ. As already said the YJ shifter bolts entirely to the TCase with 3 bolts. I'm 60 now, I'll use that as my excuse for the brain fart ��

1 - 13 of 13 Posts