Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tore open my transfer case tonight to start my SYE. I think the last guy that was in there applied the RTV with a hose and high pressure pump. Entire filter body and area around oil pump were filled. Anyway, noticed that the skirt of metal around the pick up tube port is cracked off. Again, last guy basically caulked it place with RTV. The O-ring does seat all the way in, but should I be worried enough to replace it? Can't image there's any substantial pressure there, with just a push in fitting.

ForumRunner_20150306_193413.jpg

ForumRunner_20150306_193427.jpg

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
It is not a pressure issue it is if air leaked in there the pump won't draw ATF for lubrication so transfer case is starved for lube

I would not use a cracked pump housing or a cracked intake tube

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
That is exactly where mine broke when I did my SYE.
I was told not to use it and buy another one.
So, that's what I did. Found it on Rockauto IIRC.

·
Registered
202 Posts
x2. :happyyes:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First place I looked, couldn't find it there!

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Or go to you pull it and get a used one that you inspect for cracked input

Then pale sure you install properly and carefully aligned or you back where you started

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Childish impatience prevailed, and I assembled the unit in the wee hours. It's still on my bench, and I found pumps for $45-$60. I'll check out ebay too. I'll order one tonight and tear it back open. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
There is an old and then a new improved model on those 231 oil pumps I think they are interchangeable and the newer style saw supposed to pump more or be more reliable so it was considered more desire able

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is an old and then a new improved model on those 231 oil pumps I think they are interchangeable and the newer style saw supposed to pump more or be more reliable so it was considered more desire able
Anything has to be an improvement over what I had going on. Between that crack, and the over abundance of RTV, i can't see how any oil was moving aside from splash effect. Bearings were in better shape than I expected after cleaning it out. Any idea how to distinguish between the old/new pumps? First guess would be model#, but those are often reused after changes are made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts