Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 2.5, 5 speed, with 4" lift, and transfer case drop down bracket (SYE soon to come).

Went wheeling today and the transfer case popped out of 4 lo several times. 4 hi worked fine. This happened to me one other time about 8 months ago. Anybody know what the problem is?

Could it be the transfer drop?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I can 99.99% guarantee you it is. I had the same problem on my previous tj. I'm not familiar with the guide brackets on the yjs but I was able to grind mine back where it goes into 4lo so that it could securely go into place. Save your $$$ and get a sye with a good driveshaft and rear upper adjustable control arms. It's well worth the investment.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is pretty much my plan. I'm going to finish my cage first, but then I'm going to do the SYE and drive shaft. You said you ground something down... Was it the floor pan, or something else. I'm going to take a look at it in the next day or two.

·
Registered
604 Posts
There's a t case shifter guide bracket on the tjs. Since the t case drop messed with the alignment, when I put it in 4lo it wouldn't go all the way in because it would stop at the end of the bracket. Grinding it back with a die grinder let shift nicely into place.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Do you have a body lift or anything like that??? once you do the body lift u have to readjust the tcase linkage with a half inch wrench. it doesnt make sense to grind down the guide when u can simply adjust the linkage. also sometimes the shifter hits the body and/or center console

·
Registered
172 Posts
You may need to cut the flooring a bit. Sounds like the handle is getting hit as the engine, trans, and chassy shift a bit. Just remove the shift lever boot from the floor and check it out. Hope that helps.:punk:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
89JEEPYJ said:
Do you have a body lift or anything like that??? once you do the body lift u have to readjust the tcase linkage with a half inch wrench. it doesnt make sense to grind down the guide when u can simply adjust the linkage. also sometimes the shifter hits the body and/or center console
I was on baby detail all day, so I didn't get a chance to check it out yet, but no, no body lift. I have a 4" suspension lift with T-case drop.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
89JEEPYJ said:
did u use a grinder or did u simply adjust it?
Just adjusted it. Should be good. I'm going to put a SYE in in the next few months so I'll be able to lift the transfer case back up, and it should really be a mute point then. Thanks for the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts