Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a sye and driveshaft tomorrow. Do I have to emply the fluid out of the transfer case before disconecting it from the transmission? Also any helpful time saving tips are always welcome.
Kyle

·
Registered
36 Posts
You don't have to, but it makes it easier to remove the drain plug while its still attached (they can sometimes be really tight) and just throw a catch pan or bucket under there. Otherwise, you will have to have a way to hold it down to remove it on a bench...like hug it:).

A pair of lock ring pliers make life easy doing SYE's if you have or can borrow some. Just be sure to clean all the mating surfaces good, and I prefer to use Mopar ATF RTV, but Ultra Black RTV will suffice. Buttoning it all up only to find a leak really can make for a grumpy day! Just take your time and don't force anything and all should be well.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You won't have to drain any fluid before taking the transfer case off the tranny. There is no oil in between the tranny and transfer case. It is a sealed unit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All went good. Thanks for the tips. Now I had my pinion set up for 4" lift with transfer case drop. I got rid of the transfer case drop after the sye. Do I need to adjust my pinion angle again?
Kyle

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes you'll have to move it again. You'll want to point the pinion directly at the t-case output shaft for the new cv driveshaft. You'll probably run in to issues with the shock hitting the spring pad and the track bar location. I did with a 4inch lift anyhow. One mod lead to another lead to another leads to another...... Lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts