Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I'll get a lot of "why though?" questions to this but please bear with me.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done or seen a retrofit or modification to result in an upright t-case shifter with a knob.

I prefer the more traditional, upright transfer case shifter seen on older 4x4s rather than the low-laying horizontal lever in the TJ. For one, I think it looks cooler, but I also have pinched nerves in my neck that like to get aggravated when I bend forward to reach the handle while keeping my head up and eyes on the road.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
There is a copy that makes them. I know at one time you could find them on eBay. Idk what the name was now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think that the closest you're going to get for the NP231 is the Novak #SK2X Shifter Assembly. I installed this kit in my '01 TJ, along with TeraFlex 2Low, shortly after it was released. It worked well for many years. You can also bend the rod so that it sits higher up, if that's your preference.

If you plan to do the work yourself, it's not the simplest system to install. I spent hours bending/adjusting the rod and linkages before it would shift from 2H to 2L within the stock floor console.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that the closest you're going to get for the NP231 is the Novak #SK2X Shifter Assembly. I installed this kit in my '01 TJ, along with TeraFlex 2Low, shortly after it was released. It worked well for many years. You can also bend the rod so that it sits higher up, if that's your preference.

If you plan to do the work yourself, it's not the simplest system to install. I spent hours bending/adjusting the rod and linkages before it would shift from 2H to 2L within the stock floor console.
That's an interesting option... I agree it looks like quite an effort to install. I'm doing an SYE in about 4 weeks so I was thinking that would be a good time. Might keep that in mind if I can't figure out another way to do it. But really all I was thinking was a rod that goes exactly into the place of the stock one but bent up instead of laid down. I'll look on ebay or might see what I can fab together on my own and just have a machine shop put threads on the end for a knob.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts