Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Jeep friends,
Last year I installed a 4" skyjacker lift on my 97 tj. All was well for a few months but then I started havin issues with the transfer case shift linkage. I have adjusted it several times but my linkage keeps detaching. There is a plastic bushing (gromet) that the linkage snaps into at the transfer case. I figured the old one was just worn so I bought a new bushing to install. This worked fine for a few weeks but the new one got chewed up as well. It seems as though somehow the linkage may be misaligned although it looks to be correct.
I used the transfer case and linkage drop kit provided in the kit.
I have no issues shifting into 4wd low or high and when riding, it does not pop out of gear. What happens is even sitting at a stop, I can shift into 4 low, but when I pull it back into 2wd the linkage pops back out of the bushing and I have to crawl under the jeep to manually shift the transfer case.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
847 Posts
The best cure is a Savvy cable shifter. Comes with all necessary hardware and people that have one rave about it. Sounds like you have some bent or damaged pieces that need replacing anyway.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Transfer case drops do that. Either get rid of it by installing a SYE kit and CV driveshaft or as suggested above, install a Savvy tcase shifter kit. That replaces the OE shifter linkage with a cable shifter that doesn't care if you have a dropped transfer case. Whatever you do I advise you to have a goal of getting rid of the tcase drop by installing the SYE kit and cv driveshaft. 4" of suspension lift is the point at which that becomes the thing to do.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The best cure is a Savvy cable shifter. Comes with all necessary hardware and people that have one rave about it. Sounds like you have some bent or damaged pieces that need replacing anyway.
My Savvy cable shifter is awesome and super smooth it was worth the money when I did the tummy tuck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts