Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
One of the nutserts for my tc skid has stripped out. Found this pic on jeep forum. Is this what they are?

If so i could make these very easy at work and weld them in. M12 coarse right? .625 hole in the frame?
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Feed_That_Jones said:
Hello all!
One of the nutserts for my tc skid has stripped out. Found this pic on jeep forum. Is this what they are?

If so i could make these very easy at work and weld them in. M12 coarse right? .625 hole in the frame?
Thanks for any help
the devil invented nutcerts and handed them down to man . thats how frustation came about
:include:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL. I believe it man.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If your not up for making them, just do what I did and buy a bag of 10 for $11 shipped from McMaster Carr. Way better then the $8 each that the dealer wanted.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can make that for free in about 5 minutes, and thats including programming the machine. But from the picture it looks like that first part of it isnt threaded? Whats that for?

·
Registered
305 Posts
FTJ-Where it is not threaded is where the nutsert collapses and crimps onto the hole.
I hate nutserts too, but sometimes there is no other choice. This is not the case on the Jeep frame, it is easy to drill the hole bigger and weld a nut in place or turn a nut down to the stock hole size and again welt it in place.
jeepfreak- No the factory uses nutserts for threads in the frame for the skid plate mounts. When they get old or rusted they will spin in the hole, and then it is a real pita to remove the bolt.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i can make that for free in about 5 minutes, and thats including programming the machine. But from the picture it looks like that first part of it isnt threaded? Whats that for?
What do you run? Im a supervisor in a shop full of Okumas, Mori Seikis, Mazaks, and Haas.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys.

So is the collapsing necessary? couldnt i just make a threaded insert in that shape, and weld it in? With a thicker flange so i can get a good weld on it?

Solman- The only NC expierence i have is with Haas. Actually just started learning it a couple months ago. Ive been running manuals since i was in tenth grade and im 23 now. The shop i work in i run manuals, the haas, and also weld/fabricate. When they decided to get the haas they sent me to the mother shop to have one of there employees show me how to run it for 8 hours and then turned me loose. LOL But so far so good, have got good at programming and havent crashed it yet.:D

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I started on manuals in 10th grade as well:) Im 30 now. The shop I work for also has a large foundry and we make some of the base castings for the VF1 - Vf8s. But I prefer running a manual. I have a 1958 series1 Bridgeport at the house that I spent about a year restoring, I love running that old machine.

Heres a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks for the replys.

So is the collapsing necessary? couldnt i just make a threaded insert in that shape, and weld it in? With a thicker flange so i can get a good weld on it?
The collapsing of the nutsert is what holds your skid plate to the frame. You could just weld it, but if those welds ever broke loose all at once...your transmission and T-case will fall to the ground right out of the Jeep since the welds would be the only thing holding that stuff up. Crushing it and getting the lip to form inside the frame ensures that you're not going to loose the tranny going down the road. Unless of course you arrive at another solution to get a flange inside the frame.

I just picked up two nutserts from the stealership this morning. The front ones on either side of my skid plate are no longer functional--stripped out. The only thing holding those bolts to the skid plate are the threaded spacers for the T-case drop.... Not a good thing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW. That is prob. the cleanest/well kept bridgeport ive seen. Good job on the resto. Manuals are a blast to run. But i really enjoy the NC when im doing a job that has a large quanity of parts. But alot of my work is repair work for local companies. We fix and fab new alot of things for all the tire machines at yokohama. I couldnt tell you how many bearing journals ive welded and turned down for rollers. LOL

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive only got one bad nutsert and its the one in the middle.So i think the weld should be fine. But thats why im asking, because im not sure and i wanted some experienced insight.:D Knock on wood, Ive never had a weld fail yet.... I shouldnt of said that, somethings going to break tommorow at work now.:banghead:

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
I started on manuals in 10th grade as well:) Im 30 now. The shop I work for also has a large foundry and we make some of the base castings for the VF1 - Vf8s. But I prefer running a manual. I have a 1958 series1 Bridgeport at the house that I spent about a year restoring, I love running that old machine.

Heres a pic.
Nice mill. I have one too, but not a Bridgeport. I also have a metal lathe with a 48" bed. I love toys, um I mean tools.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nope. The nutsert goes in with the flange that's already present on the new one on the bottom outside of the frame. That's why you need to crush the new one, so that you create the flange on the inside.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for the replys.

Yes you could, but then you might as well weld a nut in there. If you are a good welder in overhead position I would weld them. I am a good welder so I do trust my welds over the nutsert.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
the nutsert crushes on the inside. its basically a thin walled tube, with a high grade steel nut inside. as you use a special tool to install it, the nut crushes the wall of the nutsert against the wall of the tube frame.

buy the proper nutserts and install them using mrblaine's special tool, described on JeepForum. And while thats a nice bridgeport, I wouldn't even attempt hacking some BS together. and i've machined a fair number of stuff. Buy the proper part.

read here: Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - JeepForum.com

FYI: 97-02 used different threads and different nutserts than 03-06. The picture you have above is 03-06. 97-02 used 1/2-13 UNC threads, while 03-06 used M12 coarse threads.

·
Registered
111 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
the nutsert crushes on the inside. its basically a thin walled tube, with a high grade steel nut inside. as you use a special tool to install it, the nut crushes the wall of the nutsert against the wall of the tube frame.

buy the proper nutserts and install them using mrblaine's special tool, described on JeepForum. And while thats a nice bridgeport, I wouldn't even attempt hacking some BS together. and i've machined a fair number of stuff. Buy the proper part.

read here: Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - JeepForum.com

FYI: 97-02 used different threads and different nutserts than 03-06. The picture you have above is 03-06. 97-02 used 1/2-13 UNC threads, while 03-06 used M12 coarse threads.
Thanks man this helped me

1 - 20 of 30 Posts