Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Anyone heard or seen a double transfercase on a jeep? I did this on my Toyota hilux but every jeeper I meet they think I have been drinking the funny coolade.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Has Anyone heard or seen a double transfercase on a jeep? I did this on my Toyota hilux but every jeeper I meet they think I have been drinking the funny coolade.
It is pretty difficult to add a second t-case to a normal wheelbase TJ that has the inline 6 in it.

You can toss a box for rocks in there with the 4 banger and just slide the engine forward enough to keep the driveshafts the same length.

I think it is roughly 8" or so front to back, so a regular swap into a normal TJ means that much has to come out of the rear driveshaft. Not really that viable.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
^ what he said. You would be better off getting a klune v, a rubi crawler (i think its called) , or a lower t case

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have a buddy who mated a 231 and a D300 in his YJ; 4.0L in stock location.
The combo works extremely well.

He did extend his wheelbase by 2" front and 2" rear to allow for the extra length, and is running Wagoneer ( center pin offset) springs.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lynn said:
I have a buddy who mated a 231 and a D300 in his YJ; 4.0L in stock location.
The combo works extremely well.

He did extend his wheelbase by 2" front and 2" rear to allow for the extra length, and is running Wagoneer ( center pin offset) springs.
Thanks for the input. I was planning on changing the wheelbase anyway. I just didn't know what combo worked. Did you know what was his final gearing.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Final gearing will depend on the low gear of the tranny and the axle gears.
I don't recall his tranny or axle ratios.

To determine the compound low range ratio of this set up with the tranny and axle gears of your choice:
Tranny low gear ratio X NP231 low range ratio X D300 low range ratio X axle gear ratio = compound low final drive ratio

There are instructions out on the web for flipping a D300 and mating it to an NP231. It's not too difficult, not too expensive if you can obtain good working tcases cheaply.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lynn said:

To determine the compound low range ratio of this set up with the tranny and axle gears of your choice:
Tranny low gear ratio X NP231 low range ratio X D300 low range ratio X axle gear ratio = compound low final drive ratio

There are instructions out on the web for flipping a D300 and mating it to an NP231. It's not too difficult, not too expensive if you can obtain good working tcases cheaply.
Ok. I knew how to calculate gear ratio. It was a trick question just to see if you actually know what you wear talking about. It seams you do. Thanks for the info I will be shopping for a transfercase.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lynn said:

Thanks by the way it is showing up now that I googled the two transfercases together

1 - 8 of 8 Posts