Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have ideas on how to remove the 2 front bolts on the transfercase skid plate? The bolts are just spinning. I was only able to get the back 6 out to do the transfer drop kit

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
you mean the 42RLE transmission skid plate?

sounds like you have the transmission skid, and transfer case skid behind it. If you do, when you lift the Jeep, the transmission skid must be removed. If the nutserts are only spinning, the first thing you need to do is cut the skid off. when removing the t-case skid, make sure you support the transmission & engine...the transmission mount is one of three mounting points for the whole drivetrain.

For reference:
Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you are right. It is 2 skid plates. I didn't see that at first. So yeah it is the nurserts for the tranny skid plate

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it be a problem if I only put the spacers on the transfer skid plate and not the tranny skid plate?

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
if you don't want to trash the skid, you'll want to cut the heads off the bolts w/a die grinder or cutting torch. Then cut them out w/the skid out of the way. You'll want to either re-weld in some nuts on the inside or drill new holes when re-attaching the skid.

If you don't have access to torches and/or a welder you may want to find a local to do it for ya now that easy has become a pain...

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Would it be a problem if I only put the spacers on the transfer skid plate and not the tranny skid plate?
once again, you need to remove the tranny skid plate entirely with a lift. otherwise the driveshaft binds on the crossmember.

so you might as well take a torch or grinder and cut the bolts off, or cut the whole thing off. leave the transfer case skid plate in place.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I'm going to try what unlimitedlj linked and if that doesn't work I will break out the tourches and welder.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
64 Posts
A few years back, I broke off one of the bolts in the frame on the transmission skid plate when installing my lift.

I was so mad at myself for basically not paying enough attention to how much power I was using, and the bolt broke deep in the nutsert. I messed with it for a while before finally deciding to move on.

To get to the point, imagine how excited I was when I bought a warn oil pan skid plate and found that not only was I going to remove that trans skid plate and not have any use for it, but that it did not use either of the two forward most nutserts. After months of beating myself up over it, it turned out to be of absolutely no consequence.
My suggestion, save the torches and the welder. If they are spinning, there is probably enough room to get a sawzall blade in there. Cut em off and replace that skid with protection that you are going to need anyway in the form of an oil pan skid plate. The Warn that I suggested is not the toughest one you can buy for sure, but the price is reasonable for the added protection you will get for light to moderate off road use. And it's design totally solves your problem. It worked for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts