Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I installed the B&M 70268 Stacked Plate design Transmission Super Cooleron my TJ. I mounted the cooler to the "V" brace behind the grill, it is mounted in the vertical position so the inlet is at the bottom and the outlet is at the top. I also installed a Magnefine Inline Transmission Filter in the line between the radiator cooler and the B&M cooler to protect the transmission cooler from any contaminants. Being my TJ has 78,000 miles, I didn't want any contaminants that might be in the radiator cooler or transmission lined to get into the B&M transmission cooler and cause a flow problem.
Everything worked out great...:dance:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
Sweet, nice job. ATF coolers are really a good idea for automatic transmission-equipped rig that get used for heavy uses like trailer towing or slow-speed trails, I installed one last year for both of those reasons. I've thought about adding an ATF filter to my TJ like you did, I will probably do that when I get around to installing the B&M tranny temp gauge I received for Christmas within the next month or so.

Nice job, thanks for posting the pics!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you take the radeator out? If so what else did you have to remove? If not what did you do?

First I removed the reservoir tank for the radiator. Then I removed the bolts on the fan shroud and slid it back. Then removed the bolts from the radiator and slid it back a little. Then removed the 2 top & 2 lower bolts on the A/C condenser. I did not disconnect any hose or lines. Once everything was loose I was able to carefully push things back toward the engine so I could remove the "V" brace from behind the grill. I did use a light duty tie down strap which I wrap under the condenser top brackets and hook it into the the hood latch on the hood just to make sure the condenser would not drop down and damage the A/C lines. I removed the "V" Brace then I mount the Transmission cooler onto the "V" brace. Then I carefully push everything back towards the motor which gave me just enough room to slide the Transmission cooler mounted to the "V" brace in behind the grill. It's a tight fit but it will go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, nice job. ATF coolers are really a good idea for automatic transmission-equipped rig that get used for heavy uses like trailer towing or slow-speed trails, I installed one last year for both of those reasons. I've thought about adding an ATF filter to my TJ like you did, I will probably do that when I get around to installing the B&M tranny temp gauge I received for Christmas within the next month or so.

This is one of the best $16.00 investments I have ever made, I'm very impressed with the Magnefine Inline Transmission Filter. I have one my wife's Commander and on my dually. Both vehicles are setup with a Magnefine inline Transmission filter and also the Magnefine inline Power Steering filter. All you need to know is the transmission cooler line size. Easy to install in most cases. It's amazing how much different your fluids look and how clean your fluid stays. Welcome to the Australian Magnefine Website
Here is a video to watch about the Magnefine Filter....
1 MAGNEFINE MAGNETIC INLINE OIL FILTERS - YouTube

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts

That must be a 42RLE thing because the 32RH never even gets warm on the trails. The only time I've ever managed to get one up near the top of the Yellow zone on the B&M gauge was towing a Class A in assist mode back up to the 247 when Boone was real soft a few years back. That's the only time I've been able to get it out of the White zone.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
It probably is just a 42RLE thing Blaine. My 42RLE went into Limp Mode last year when the engine got so hot several times that it also overheated the transmission. That scared me enough to install with the fan cooled Derale cooler.

·
Registered
304 Posts
That is sweet. I like the whole setup. You know what they say, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jerry,
Where did mount the Derale unit?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
It probably is just a 42RLE thing Blaine. My 42RLE went into Limp Mode last year when the engine got so hot several times that it also overheated the transmission. That scared me enough to install with the fan cooled Derale cooler.
I thought that was pulling a trailer up in the mountains when you did that, no?

If so, I wasn't addressing that part, I was talking about trail use.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the same set-up on my tj just curious if it matters that the trans-cooler outlets on my rig are pointing up-wards instead to the sides like this install?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts