Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 JK Moab Edition
73000 miles.

The transmission broke. The dealer has had it for two weeks tomorrow. Supposedly can't get parts.

Is that even remotely credible? I suspect they are working the repair on a "best effort" basis because its warranty work.

I'd like suggestions on how to handle this.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
I'd DEMAND a NEW transmission! No rebuild but NEW with a new transmission warranty in WRITING!

The factory warranty alone implies that they feel the transmission should last at least that XXX many miles. The fact that it did not implies that there was something wrong with it to begin with. And on that premises I would demand a brand-new one from Chrysler with a new warranty in writing

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
No parts being available is both cedible and expected. Most dealerships do not keep spare transmissions laying around. None around these parts anyways.

Bob

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It depends upon what "part(s)" they're waiting for. Is it the valve body, torque converter etc. Some parts can be on "national backorder". At the very least, I would insist on a loaner. Find out what part(s) they're waiting for. That's not an unreasonable request. I know what Sinister is saying, but you can't necessarily demand a new trans. unless you know what the problem is. I mean, you can demand anything that you want but they don't have to abide by any demands. They do have to either repair or replace the component or parts that are required to get you back on the road.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'd DEMAND a NEW transmission! No rebuild but NEW with a new transmission warranty in WRITING!

The factory warranty alone implies that they feel the transmission should last at least that XXX many miles. The fact that it did not implies that there was something wrong with it to begin with. And on that premises I would demand a brand-new one from Chrysler with a new warranty in writing
Good luck with that

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

How has that whole "demanding things" attitude worked out for you over the years?

·
Registered
456 Posts
2013 JK Moab Edition
73000 miles.

The transmission broke. The dealer has had it for two weeks tomorrow. Supposedly can't get parts.

Is that even remotely credible? I suspect they are working the repair on a "best effort" basis because its warranty work.

I'd like suggestions on how to handle this.

Thanks.
Do they know what is wrong yet and have they done a "tear down and inspect"?

Auto or manual?

What parts are they waiting on?

If you think it is a problem with the dealer, you could try to get the DSM (District Service Manager) involved. It is probably one guy for all of the dealers in a district/region. He/she may be able to authorize rental car coverage as a gesture of goodwill if the parts are indeed on backorder.

FWIW, when I repaired transmissions at a dealer under warranty, I overhauled them all repairing only the bad/worn parts. None were replaced as an assembly. And I was the transmission guy among other things.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That's what I'd like to know.

It says "auto trans" in his signature. More expensive/complicated transmission so it is likely rebuildable and going to be rebuilt under a factory warranty. If there is enough wrong with it and Chrysler has a warranty transmission exchange program, that might be an option.

Electronic valve bodies are expensive, if that happens to be on the parts list, and so is a torque converter. At that mileage, the tech may recommend to reseal the whole transmission including the drums and pistons plus he could recommend replacing one or more clutch packs.

Please post the diagnosis from the tech and parts list if you have it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Count your lucky stars. On the way to Moab 3/23 my manual goes out with 10,000 miles. We got to Farmington NM and that was it.

Next day at the dealer confirm the tranny is the problem. They just ordered parts last week for a rebuild. I have to say that is what I prefer to a whole new replacement tranny. Why? hopefully the weak parts have been superceded by better ones, compared to getting a whole new tranny off the shelf that may be several years old that has the week parts still in it.

Dealer ended up being a stand up guy. Gave me a loner to get home to Las Cruces NM. Getting parts was also a problem. These tranny's must be dropping like flies all over the country

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had my auto go out last week. Dealer pulled the transmission and had it overhauled and back in the JK the next day.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/power-loss-issue-14-jku-auto-1668522.html

FWIW, my service department told me my rental/loaner was covered as long as it was a warranty repair. So to me, I did not care how long they would have the Jeep because I would be putting miles on someone else's car (that also got better gas mileage lol).

The service department told me if over 70% of the transmission needed to be rebuilt, they would order a remanufactured one. In my case they just replaced the converter and overhauled it using a master kit.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I would definitely get the Chrysler DSM involved. They many times cycle through their territory so you can find out when he would be at your dealer and meet with him.

Two weeks - something is wrong. My former neighbor ran a one many transmission service, and serviced everything. He used to work for a Chevy dealer, but they couldn't keep him busy. They wound up contracting his service. They would bring him the vehicle, he would request the parts from them and charge his fee (plus a markup of course) on the bill plus the parts. He usually got the parts the next day, and had it done in a day. For normal jobs, he would order the parts and they would arrive in two days.

Unless there is a rash of transmission failures, the parts should be in inventory at the warehouse and that normally means at most 2 days.

Call the dealer service manager and ask for the status. Do not work with a service writer, you want the manager. Then when you get the update, if it is not ready, ask him for the phone number of the District Service Manager. You don't demand a new tranny (you wouldn't get one), don't get angry or shout, just ask for the DSM's phone no. That let's the dealer's service manager know you are going to the next level.

It may suddenly get fixed before the DSM shows up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts