Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I need your opinion on this. In the past when I change out my TJ transmission filter/fluid, I always:
+ Drain transmission fluid, change filter, refill fluid
+ Drive around for a while, drain the fluid, and top it off
+ Drive around for a while again, drain the fluid again, and refill.
Basically, I switch the filter out at the first drain/top off. The new filter will catch some stuffs on the old remaining fluid.

I think if I change out my procedure and replace the filter at the last drain/refill, which would be a better procedure since the new filter doesn’t need to filter that much old fluid. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think, You'll be fine with how your doing it now.
I know some manufactures that dont have removable filters are just a drain and fill at certain mileage intervals doing the same thing you are doing minus the filter.

-Jason

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I changed the filter, refilled it then ran it up to a shop & let them do a complete exchange with their machine. Not as time consuming & 100% of the fluid in new.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you're changing your ATF on a regular basis, you're probably wasting a lot of fluid and filters. Flushing is mostly reserved for a contaminated tranny or one with a poor maintenance sched. Most people only service their trannys when there's a problem. That being said, I would love to buy a jeep from an owner like you!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I drain it, install new filter, disconnect return line at radiator, add 4 quarts of new, start it and run it in N or P (depending on year), pump fluid into bucket and add clean fluid at the same time until it looks really clean (about 1 gal), reconnect line, top off. Check level and adjust as needed.

That cleans the crap fluid out of the torque converter. I've been more than happy with this method. I buy 1 case of ATF+4.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts