Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the guy I just bought my jeep from filled everything with Royal Purple, but now I'm afraid that I've left about $50 worth of it on the road between Richmond and home, and on the bottom of my jeep. I noticed 3rd gear do a little chirp grind when going into gear while the tranny's cooler, and now noticing the same with 2nd. Also, the synchros aren't quite acting how they should, like it's hard to get it into gear unless you're pretty close to rev match. Is there a common place where these things leak? Other thoughts?

I haven't gotten out there to check the fluid yet, but the skid plate is covered. I'll check it after work.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I got mine I had a bad leak coming out around the inspection plate. Turns out it was coming from the seal in the front bearing retainer. Have to pull the trans and take the bell housing off and the plate is then staring you right in the face. Btw mine was a Ax5 trans.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, mine's an ax-15. Funny thing is the guy I bought it from said it didn't leak anything except the main seal had a little oil leak. This doesn't smell like oil. :) I wonder if something like this could have developed this quickly or if he was just lying to me, or maybe putting the royal purple in there cleaned out gunk that was plugging a small leak of some kind. But this seems kinda major. Seems only to happen when I'm moving, like I can't watch it drip in the driveway.

I just went out and looked and it's under the skid plate somewhere. I'll prolly have to pull it off to see. Oh, and I just noticed my front drive shaft is bent. oi.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I feel your pain. Time for a serious inspection for your own safety. Then you will have to start the repairs. If you need any help post here you will find so many who have been there done that and some are Jeep Gurus. So post some pics and ask away.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome, bro!

I popped open the tranny fluid filler bolt and crammed my finger down there. No fluid I could feel. I'm thinking I'll get the skid plate off tomorrow and at least get some fluid in there and post some pics to see what you guys think.

The drive shaft should still function, it's just got a nice bow to it :) Is it worth it to spend the money and get something like a Tom Wood, or should I just snag something from a pick and pull?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
If it is a stock shaft pick and pull is fine for now. If it is a double cardan shaft for a lift you may need to find a local shop to repair or replace what you have.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like the stock shaft, looking as old as the rest of the jeep. There's a 4 inch lift on my jeep, so I think it's fine. Although the balanced shafts from Tom Wood do look nice. I'll be trying out the 4wd on some trails this weekend, I'll see if it knocks around too much.

So the tranny was almost half empty, which means the gears were getting starved. I put in a quart of 80w90 (all they had that wasn't synthetic and ridiculously priced for something that will potentially just leak out), and almost a quart of the lucas transmission conditioner. I hope my synchros and gears didn't get too damaged. If the lucas doesn't take care of the leak I'll have some tracking to do.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dad suggested that my transmission may be leaking due to a clogged vent. How common is this for a vehicle that's been in the mud quite a bit?

Has anyone else had this issue?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts