Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission seriously grinds every time i'm going into second or third gear. And sometimes it just wont go into second gear, I have to try over and over.

Is this common?
If so, how can I go about fixing this?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Very possible your syncros are going out, its a rebuild thing.

Just in case, try double clutching and see if it continues to grind. If not you can limp it along a while longer. If not you may have different problem.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
The syncros help allign the gears, a tell tale symptom is if it won't let you downshift into first while rolling slow.

Check your clutch fluid first, add some if you need to and pump it back up to pressure by pushing the clutch in and out 10 or so times after adding fluid. If you still have problems, might be time for a slave cylinder or syncros depending on what troubleshooting points to.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the grinding has been persistent for a while now, and the tell tale sign of it not letting me downshift into 2nd or 1st is there. I guess its time for a rebuild!!
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine was the same way on my 2.5 i changed the tranny fluid and it made a huge difference im sure down the road itll still need to be replaced but it helped alot for now. The symptoms you explained were exactly what mine was doing i used Pennzoil syncromesh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 89, 4.2L, 5 speed... pretty much the same thing here. Mine will grind going into 3rd & 4th, and just yesterday I noticed it's going into 2nd REALLY hard... I can alleviate the grinding going into 3rd by holding the clutch down for about 2-3 seconds before I shift, and making sure I don't go above 2K in 2nd... don't know why, but it seems to help.
I haven't found any relief for 4th, and like I said, 2nd just started acting up. I was going to re-build the trans, but now I'm thinking about swapping out my whole driveline for a brand new driveline out of my 4.0 Cherokee instead.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
For the 2.5, no rebuild. For a little more you can get an AX15. The AX5 in that sucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same problem

Mine was the same way on my 2.5 i changed the tranny fluid and it made a huge difference im sure down the road itll still need to be replaced but it helped alot for now. The symptoms you explained were exactly what mine was doing i used Pennzoil syncromesh.
I have the same problem. Does yours ever lock up? Mine will sometimes and I just gotta to let it roll out. Is that Pennzoil syncromesh and fluid? Where under the hood can you put the new fluid. Mine is probably dried out.

I have a 4.0L 94' YJ

·
Registered
116 Posts
Explain locking up? And there should be a drain plug and a fill on your transmission under the tub if it is a manual. Drain plug will be closest to the ground and my fill plug was on the driver side i believe? But im not very familiar with the ax15s which is whats with the 4.0.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Explain locking up? And there should be a drain plug and a fill on your transmission under the tub if it is a manual. Drain plug will be closest to the ground and my fill plug was on the driver side i believe? But im not very familiar with the ax15s which is whats with the 4.0.
I'll press the clutch in completely and it won't come out of gear. Also while shifting say i come out of second and it won't let me go in to third. and won't let me come back to second. I have to do a lot of double clutch..... LEFT LEG is getting tired.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just trouble with 2nd and 3rd? Sounds like synchros in your tranny. But if trouble shifting into all gears sounds like slave cylinder or clutch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok so here it is. I have a 99 TJ with almost 170K. I recently took it out for some fun and got stuck in a mud hole. After a few days the transmission started to make noises so I had the trans fluid change. Worst nightmare came true; there was water and mud in the trainny. Had the fluid changed and it got a lot better, however I am getting a lot of grinding going into third and some going into fourth. So here are my questions.
1. Can anyone post a picture of where the AX5 transmission oil pan is?
2. A picture of where the fill plug/ drain plug are?
3. How to take the skid plate off?
4. Best oil/lubricant for the AX5?
5. How hard would it be to change to a new trainny?
Please let me know ASAP. I am tired of paying a mechanic $$$$ for the problem not to be fixed. Thanks

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Ok so here it is. I have a 99 TJ with almost 170K. I recently took it out for some fun and got stuck in a mud hole. After a few days the transmission started to make noises so I had the trans fluid change. Worst nightmare came true; there was water and mud in the trainny. Had the fluid changed and it got a lot better, however I am getting a lot of grinding going into third and some going into fourth. So here are my questions.
1. Can anyone post a picture of where the AX5 transmission oil pan is?
2. A picture of where the fill plug/ drain plug are?
3. How to take the skid plate off?
4. Best oil/lubricant for the AX5?
5. How hard would it be to change to a new trainny?
Please let me know ASAP. I am tired of paying a mechanic $$$$ for the problem not to be fixed. Thanks
No pan. Fill and drain plug are on the sides. They are the only large bolts besides your reverse sensor. Skid plate is only 6 bolts and the two for your tranny mount. If trans is shot replace it with an ax15. Not difficult to do.

·
Registered
98 Posts
No pan. Fill and drain plug are on the sides. They are the only large bolts besides your reverse sensor. Skid plate is only 6 bolts and the two for your tranny mount. If trans is shot replace it with an ax15. Not difficult to do.
I have a 2.5l 4cyl. manual. Would the AX15 work with out any mods?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mine was grinding into second when the tranny warmed up. Changed my fluid today, it was more like chocolate milk than oil. So i used Pennzoil Syncromesh and it shifts so smooth now. I love it again. I'll change the fluid again next oil change just to get the rest of that crap out of there.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have a 2.5l 4cyl. manual. Would the AX15 work with out any mods?
No. Just do some research on it. There are a few writeups. I am sure when you google it I will come up mentioning it as well since I did it. It is worth the time and money if you plan on keeping your Jeep for a long time and beating on it, or running tires larger than 31". If you are going to sell it though, it doesnt really add to the resale value unless you find a Jeeper.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts