Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was teaching a friend how to drive a stick and he was terrible.

In short a loud bang happened while in 2h. Now no gear will work in 2h but when I switch over to 4h or 4 l the gears will work and i can drive.

Think this is the transfer case ?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Watch the rear drive shaft. If it turns in 2H the problem is in the rear gears, if it doesn't turn its the TC, unless you snapped a rear Ujoint which I would think you could tell by your DS sitting on the ground.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watch the rear drive shaft. If it turns in 2H the problem is in the rear gears, if it doesn't turn its the TC, unless you snapped a rear Ujoint which I would think you could tell by your DS sitting on the ground.
forgive me for the dumb question but are gears the same thing as a rear end ? I had a company swap out my front and back gears to 4.56 spider gears about two months back. Thinking is these gears are the same as the rear end I may be under warranty ?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yes, if the drive shaft is turning but the wheels are not its the rear gears (rear end)

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
You might be able to "buffalo" them into giving you a warranty. I wouldn't elaborate about the new driver attempting to drive a standard for the 1st time.

If you take the cover off the rear end, you can tell us how many pieces fall out. I would bet that it "peeled" the teeth off the ring gear. And it should be making a loud grumbling noise if you are trying to move in 2wd.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And it was the rear end. Which is covered under warranty. Thank god. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts