Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 TJ 4.0.... I just took it to a transmission shop because I noticed a "chriping" sound when the clutch was released. It would increase in volume when the accelerator was pushed and almost disappear while coasting. There is a slight rattle while sitting at idle, in neutral and the clutch out.
I was told by this transmission shop (he has been in business for 31 years, so I kinda trust his opinion) he said that the NV3550 tranny is junk when running 35" tires. He said he wouldn't rebuild it because he wants to guarantee his work and as long as 35's are on the jeep he won't touch it.
I have read alot of threads and it seems that most people say to worry about the D35 rear end and not the transmission. The D35 was going to the scrap yard and replaced with a Ford 8.8 but now I have spend money to make sure the tranny is good for now.
With all of this said.... Do I need to get a second opinion on the transmission or are they really a weak piont of the jeep running 35's??

THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get a second opinion. I had the same problem with my 02 TJ Sahara. sitting idle with the clutch out I could hear the fly wheel rattle a bit, then when you engage the clutch and in gear it would disappea...thought it was normal until a few months later when the clutch gave out. Not sure on the tire size scenario. Installed new clutch...whole kit and replaced slave. problem solved. good luck and Jeep on!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Get a second opinion. I had the same problem with my 02 TJ Sahara. sitting idle with the clutch out I could hear the fly wheel rattle a bit, then when you engage the clutch and in gear it would disappea...thought it was normal until a few months later when the clutch gave out. Not sure on the tire size scenario. Installed new clutch...whole kit and replaced slave. problem solved. good luck and Jeep on!
Agreed it's the clutch your tranny is fine

·
Registered
70 Posts
Second Opinion!

Definetly get a second opinion, The chirping you're explaining sounds more like a ujoint to me and the rattle when sitting still sounds like clutch or throw out bearing.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Sounds like you might have a couple of different issues. The slight rattle sitting at idle could be just a broken clutch return spring and is no big deal other than being annoying. The NV3550 is known for being a little noisy, so depending on your particular case may or may not be an issue, The chirping, on the other hand, could be the throw out bearing (if it is coming from the bell housing) and is the only thing that would lead me to believe that it may be getting close to time for a new clutch. Make sure the chirping isn't coming from somewhere else.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Mine chirped and rattled.......I thought it was the tranny too but it wasn't. New clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and flywheel. Loose springs and working rivets. Jeep is a 2003 and had about 120k miles and it is a 4.0L with a 5 speed too.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts