Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 sport 4.0L Auto, I believe it is the 32rh original
When the Jeep is at idle it feels like the transmission is trying to grab and pull me forward. Sometimes it will large the vehicle fairly hard and cause it to stall. No problems when driving just sitting at stop signs and red lights in Drive. I was told this may be a torque converter problem has anyone else experienced this

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I have the same setup and have not experienced that particular problem. Are you throwing any 700 codes?

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Torque converter sounds like a likely suspect but kinda expensive if you're gonna play parts darts. The correct torque converter for that is the Dacco 783. Rockauto has it for about $130 after core. Fairly easy to find, other vendors have it as well. Not super fun to replace but doable in a day if you've been there before. Have you tried plugging in an OBD II? Could be solenoid or something else. Have you dropped the pan to check for burnt fluid or metal shavings? Is your fluid level ok (checked while warm and running in neutral)?

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I wanna lean toward torque converter but strange that it's not giving any codes. How long has it been acting up? Might need a few more miles to process the problem and display a code?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has been doing this since I bought the Jeep about 3 years ago I did add a quart of Lucas and it seemed to help a little bit medical care and get mostly does it when it is cold after it gets nice and hot I don't seem to notice the problem

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Carefully inspect your linkage cable, especially where the plastic adjustment assembly seats into the bracket on the transmission. If it is not seated 100% it may cause shifting problems. The plastic tabs on that assembly tend to wear out and not seat properly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the linkage appears to be fine. I just put this motor in the Jeep and I could kick myself in the butt for not addressing this issue but to be truthful I was excited about the new motor and completely forgot about the transmission problems. As I see the transmission shifts just fine but sitting at a stoplight in Drive when the vehicle is cold sometimes it will launch forward hard enough to stall the vehicle. It's almost like you pop a clutch on a straight drive

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Well, swap out the torque converter and cross your fingers. That's probably what I'd do based on your description.

·
Registered
78 Posts
2001 sport 4.0L Auto, I believe it is the 32rh original
When the Jeep is at idle it feels like the transmission is trying to grab and pull me forward. Sometimes it will large the vehicle fairly hard and cause it to stall. No problems when driving just sitting at stop signs and red lights in Drive. I was told this may be a torque converter problem has anyone else experienced this
Do you have any other symptoms, like high or surging RPMs at idle or when coming to a stop? The engine should idle at 500-900 RPMs. Anything higher that 900 RPMs, or surging, would indicate an issue with the throttle body (IAC specifically) rather than the torque converter.

If the above does not apply, are you experiencing the surging and stalling only after driving on the highway, or at least at a speed high enough for the torque converter to lock up? There are plenty of reports of the 32RH TCC solenoid failing and not unlocking the torque converter.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
There are plenty of reports of the 32RH TCC solenoid failing and not unlocking the torque converter.
That's what I was thinking but he said no codes and it's been doing it for years. Also said that he recently put in a new 4.0... assuming he didn't install a dirty IAC.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The IAC is clean. The surge is only at idle in gear (DRIVE OR REVERSE) most noticeable when motor is cold. When warmed up still there as far as I can feel it pull but no sudden surge. It is like the trans is not releasing. My idle rpm is steady at about 600. There is no surging or grabbing when driving at any speed. I do not have much knowledge on automatic transmissions but I was thinking it was the torque converter, there are no engine codes except mini cats

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to put the cats on them in the next couple of weeks as soon as I get the money. Can clogged catalytic converters make your motor feel sluggish or lack of power?

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Never had that problem, but I reckon yes it could.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Clogged cats will reduce power but I think that's a separate issue.

It does sound as though the torque converter is locking up when it should not, but whether the TC has failed or if it's an electrical or pressure problem has yet to be determined.

Does your fluid look okay? If it's discolored (brown), this could indicate that the torque converter has failed. If the fluid looks good however, I would look elsewhere.

With the 32RH, the PCM locks up the torque converter by grounding the TCC circuit. If the TCC solenoid has failed, or if the wiring harness has a short, I would think that you'd have a DTC, but maybe not.

Before replacing the TC, verify the fluid level is correct and that the fluid is not discolored. Also check the wiring harness for signs of damage. Finally, take it to a shop and have it tested.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The fluid is new however it was still red when I changed it not Brown. I will probably take it to the shop and have it tested during the work week

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
The fluid is new however it was still red when I changed it not Brown. I will probably take it to the shop and have it tested during the work week
I assume you changed the filter while you had the pan off?

The only things I know about automatic transmissions are:
1- Change the filter and fluid if you're experiencing any issues.
2- If #1 doesn't work, take it to a shop.

A couple posters above suggested a solenoid that's activated by the PCM. I'd research that before I replaced the TC.
You might take the Jeep to a transmission shop for an estimate. Their estimate should be based on a diagnosis rather than drive the Jeep and guess. They may charge for that estimate, but then you can decide which way to go.

Let us know what the shop says and what you plan to do.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts