Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 two door Jeep Wrangler
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 121,000 on my TJ. I have no trouble shifting into forward gears.

However, when shifting into reverse, with the clutch fully depressed, with the engine idling below 1000 RPMs, I still get a little "grinding" before I can finally get it into gear. I can get around it a bit by having it in reverse before starting it and backing out of my garage.

But what is going on?

Also, I bought it in December 2012 with 115,000 miles on it. Should I replace the transmission fluid? Don't know if that was ever done.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine does the same sometime. Changing the fluid to MT-90 made the transmission shift smoother all together, and now that you mention it, that grinding doesn't happen as often, but I doubt the fluid would have anything to do with it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Your AX-15 transmission's Reverse gear is not synchronized... it does not have a synchronizer like all five of your forward gears do. So unless you shift into Reverse with the right technique, it will often or even normally grind. This is also true for the AX-5 used behind the 2.5L engine.

That technique, which I was taught on a friend's '57 VW beetle back in 1964, is simply to momentarily shift into any forward gear first (no need to let the clutch out) and only after that shift directly into Reverse. This little quick extra step serves to synchronize Reverse. 'Voila, no more grinding. Going straight from Neutral into Reverse will usually cause it to grind.

·
Registered
575 Posts
+ 2 what Jerry said. also you could hold the clutch in for a few seconds longer-untill the gears inside slow/stop spinning as much. Have you owed this Jeep long-and are experiencing grinding going into reverse more than before?

·
Registered
2021 two door Jeep Wrangler
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Jerry very much! I just gave it a try. It works perfectly when I shift from first to reverse as you suggested, but not so much when I try from 5th to reverse. Is there a reason for that?

Kawzak, it seems like it has been more noticable as of late...but perhaps this was always happening. I can't remember...I was focused more on the other "bugs" I've had to get out of it.

Another question since you all have been helpful...my owner's manual suggests under normal operating conditions that I change the manual trans. fluid every 37,500 miles. Should I do that, or do I just check the color of the oil?

Since I just bought it I will probably change it just to be sure this first time.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Change it. Redline MTL worked wonders for me.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
X3 on Jerry's hint...... been doing it since1967 on everything from VWs to Dodges to Chevys.....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Change it. It can only help it. Mt-90 or MTL are great fluids.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think there is a stopper in the shifter that won't let you shift from 5th to reverse directly. I think they did that to help with transmissions laying all over the highway for guys who think they have 6 speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts