Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just days after purchasing, I've already experienced a trans issue (6sp, manual). When it warms up, after driving to work let's say, taking off in first gear it starts to bounce/vibrate pretty bad. Also in reverse. I've checked some forums and read everything from broken motor mounts, to oil from either the rear main on the motor, and/or front seal on the trans. Had it up on the lift tonight and all mounts looked good. I did have a drop/drip of oil coming from the gap in the "bellhousing"/trans inspection cover. ALSO, notices a metal ball bearing laying and moving freely in the gap of the cover. If the video works below, you will see what I'm talking about.
Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, after doing a little more research, I'm guessing it's the clutch release bearing. Now for question #2. I know the smart thing to do would be to replace the clutch while I have it torn down. Do you all agree? I mean, it shifts smooth and tight as it is. However, I don't know how long this release bearing has been bad. I just picked this Jeep up on 12/26.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
I think your diagnosis is correct. There is no way I would drop that transmission without doing a complete clutch job, especially if the history and age of the clutch is unknown. Once it is apart I would be certain the rear main seal is not leaking, and address it if it is. You say you bought it 12/16, is there any warranty, or was is an "as is" private party sale?

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
^ what he said. I had a throwout bearing go bad on me (a common issue with that trans) and had the whole clutch replaced at the same time. Clutch plate and bearing are cheap, it's the labor that kills you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No warranty, AS IS! I'm 7 hours into replacing everything along the way now.

When you replaced your clutch, did you do anything with the flywheel? Milled, replaced, anything, or was it still good?

·
Registered
108 Posts
If the flywheel is good, no hotspots or gouges, you can rough up with a sanding disk and go forward. Old-school best practice is to have it resurfaced by a machine shop. Really doesn't cost that much if you go that route, and they usually are only taking off a few thousands of an inch - just skimming it. BUT while you are this far do consider replacing the rear main seal and the trans input seals. You are right there. Best to just kill off all the little potential demons in that area for having gone through this much work!

·
Registered
322 Posts
That drop/drip of oil is the first problem you want to look at and repair. Drops/drips don't heal themselves, they just get worse. That's probably causing your clutch chatter????

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The flywheel cannot be resurfaced as it is cone-shaped. Resurfacing it will mess it up. You should get a new flywheel if it was hopping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts