Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wrapping up a nice long process of putting in nutserts for my skid, replacing the shift linkage seal on the tranny and replacing the transmission mount and torque arm's hardware... Should be nice and easy to finish up. No, sir. It's a Jeep.

I have two bolts loosely in the passenger side of the skid and the 3 mounting bolts for the transmission do not line up. No matter how I yank the skid around they don't get much closer than the photo and when they are, the skid is way off its bolt holes.

A couple notes that may affect this:

First, the guy before the guy I bought it from (yeah, I know, previous owners) traded out the engine for one from a Cherokee. This could mean that maybe the mounting hardware on the transmission is different? I don't know. My old mounts were beyond dead, maybe because of a bad line up? (I'll post pictures of that carnage at the end.)

Second, my motor mounts are pretty worn out (they are on my list of stuff to do), maybe the whole drive train shifted over some? If thats the case I could use a ratchet strap and pull it over. This is kind of what I'm thinking happened, but I wanted a second opinion before I went and destroyed something.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so gave up waiting for a second opinion and just ratchet strapped that bastard towards the frame. It all worked out.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
More leverage using the skid. Bolt the skid to the trans and then muscle the whole thing into place. But yes you have an issue that is not that uncommon with all bad mounts.

Driveshaft out and hang the engine forward on jack stands get the new motor mounts in and then see if you can swing the trans back in place. Its a PIA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts