Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so from my internet search it appears the nut size for the transmission studs that go thru the skid plate on a 2000 sport with a nv 3550 must be top secret I need to replace mine. the new mount didn't come with them and a couple of mine were striped and I can't find any reliable info on them. any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Can't you put a thread pitch gauge on the studs, measure the diameter and get some at the hardware store? Maybe even just take the mount to the hardware store with you? If I'm understanding this right you need nuts that fit the studs on the new mount you have, correct?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is the flange nuts that go on the studs that go thru the skid plate. All the stock style transmission mounts use the factory nuts. It shouldn't be this hard to discover the size but even if you look at the oem part sites they don't list the nuts. I have bought the hardware nuts that appear to fit but when you go to torque them down to 40 ft-lbs (based on several torque tables I have found ) the threads pull out.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Grade 5-8 or metric equivalents (10.1, or 12.? ?) should not have thread distortion. 40lbs doesn't seem like enough to strip regular flange nuts either, but I'd just get some heavy duty zinc plates ones. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Called the Jeep dealer and got the answer I expected they don't know what size they are but they will be happy to order me four at 10:50 apiece.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grade 5-8 or metric equivalents (10.1, or 12.? ?) should not have thread distortion. 40lbs doesn't seem like enough to strip regular flange nuts either, but I'd just get some heavy duty zinc plates ones. Good luck!
Ok got it figured out they are M8 1.25 and I bought grade 10.9 which is grade 8 equivalent. do not buy the ones from Home depot they are not a heavy enough grade. the threads pulled out and buggered up the studs to the point of having to buy another mount. thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
10.9, that's it! I have a bunch of 10.9 and 12.? In boxes and jars from various projects and for whatever reason can never remember the exact designation numerals. Anyhow, glad you got it sorted out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts