Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 unlimited with a manual tranny. It makes a rattling noise in 3rd and 4th gear. Anyone know if this is normal or a problem?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
^^^^ Yes, and when he says they all do it, he means all. Even my Fords and GMs have done it. It's the nature of the beast with a manual transmission. The parts are a direct link between the engine and axle unlike an automatic...so you're by nature going to get some noises.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well yes and no....Mine did that and the dealer replaced the shift rail assembly.. Now it doesnt make the rattle noise just the helicopter noise lol...

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Normal. They all do it :)
Having experienced the 3rd and 4th rattle on my 2012 and getting it successfully fixed, I can most certainly tell you it isn't normal. :facepalm: My 2011 didn't have the rattle.

It's not "a Jeep thing" nor is it "just a manual transmission thing". Manuals will have a certain amount of gear train noise or gear whine. This isn't the same as the rattle.

If you believe its normal, more power to ya, but I know better.

Chrysler has admitted there is an issue, but what fixes one transmission doesn't work on others and Chrysler still doesn't know or doesn't want to admit what the cause is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts