Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 TJ and sometimes when I back out of my driveway( its down a small hill) when i get to the bottom my transmission will not be engaged. I will give it gas but it will just rev and then it will pop into gear. It only happens when im backing down a steep hill. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
have you checked fluid levels to make sure you've got enough in the tranny? especially when you're heading down a hill, the fluid obviously will head to one end of the tranny. so if you're fluid is low, you might not have enough through-out the rest to make shifting happy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought it recently so im not sure if it was ever serviced. I will check on the fluid right away! I have heard good and bad things about flushes... are they safe? Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked the tranny fluid... perfect... right at max line. Anything else i should check? Its only been when im backing down... never going head on. Is there some sort of sensor that disengages it?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
If you have the auto tranny, then yes, this is normal. It usually takes a pretty good incline to drain the fluid out of your tranny fluid pump.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
bluvikng said:
If you have the auto tranny, then yes, this is normal. It usually takes a pretty good incline to drain the fluid out of your tranny fluid pump.
Ditto on this one. However like blu says it should be a pretty steep incline that you are backing down before it will drain down on you. The answer to this is a deep pan for a 32rh. Skyjacker makes one for about 115 bucks that has a drain plug on the pan also.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
That happened to me aswell, It went away after I changed the Fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts