Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2014 Unlimited Sport (2.5in suspension lift, 35inch tires, 20inch wheels, aftermarket bumpers, and side armor). I've had the Jeep for 2 months. It had 54K miles when I purchased it. Yesterday, during my ride to work, I noticed the transmission would not shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear. Additionally, there was a delay in acceleration after I moved from a stopped position (my RPM spiked first followed by movement). My check engine light then illuminated about 2 miles after I noticed these issues, and as I was parking for work. I parked the Jeep, and 8 hours later, began the ride home. Instantly the Jeep would not shift into 2nd gear. After about 30mins of trying to drive to the nearest dealership (traffic was bad per the usual), the transmission went into limp mode. The OBD II read U0414 (Lost Communication with Four-Wheel Drive Clutch Control Module). I'm thinking this is symptom of the check engine light, however I don't know what caused the gear shift issue. Has anyone experienced this problem. If so, how did you resolve it. I have 61K miles on the vehicle, and the powertrain is under factory warranty. It's currently at the dealership for service, but I'd still like insight from fellow Jeepers. I didn't find anything on the TSB, and I've only found general descriptions related to the code. There was no fluid transmission fluid leakage fyi.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
reset the TIPM (computer system) by disconnecting the battery terminals then putting them together then put the terminals back on after 20 min (make sure they are tight!).

being a 2014 have you changed out the battery? If you have a volt meter, check the battery. anything less then 12.3 Volts, replace the battery.

Reactions: rockjames3of5

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE: The dealership indicated there were two leaks happening; a leak at the transfer case switch, and one at the connector. The leak wasn't heavy enough to show underneath the jeep or transmit indication to the instrument panel, but it was enough to cause my transmission to malfunction. This is not cover under the factory powertrain warranty due to it being in the transfer case. The cost to repair (i.e., replace the switch and connector) is $700. Replacing the switch should also replace the O-ring. Hopefully this resolves it. I get the Jeep tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. I am having the same issues with my 2014 JKUR. I was thinking it was due to water inside my sway bar causing the U0414 code. My sway bar light would randomly blink for about 15 seconds while I am driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.