Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2012 JK 3.6 auto. Recently i have found that the transmission holds the gears far too long before changing up a gear or dropping into overdrive. it is less noticeable when driving hard and putting the engine under strain.
Its is mostly noticeable when cruising on a flat road where it used to shift into overdrive easily at around 2000 - 2500 rpm now it holds to around 3500 rpm and will only change up a gear when i completely back off the throttle.

I have had the trans oil and filter changed and it has made no difference.
65000 miles on the clock.

Starting to cost me plenty at the gas station!!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
had the same prob
it turned out to be a dragging parking brake shoe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old dogger, yes i have had a 2 inch lift and 35"s on it. had the speedometer calibrated with the plug in gadget and she's ran great for the last year with no issues, this has recently started to be an issue. just had a service and the rear rotors, shoes and pads changed. issue was there before the service though.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jerry you might be on to something there ill give it a try. Today i was manually up shifting to reduce the holding onto the gears issue and since ive been doing that the problem seems to have eased up. maybe the jeep "learns" my driving style. last month i did some aggressive driving for a few weeks (tough time at work!!) so maybe the computer is to blame?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would be driving down the road at highway speed and all of a sudden it would downshift into 4th maybe even sometimes 3rd and never shift back into 4th or 5th. My work around was to use manual mode to get it into 4th or 5th and sometimes that didn't work. Then I'd have to pull off the road, restart the truck and it would go back to shifting properly until it would do it again. This only would happen at highway speeds. Driving around town it shifted fine. Took it to the dealer a few times they couldn't figure it out. Thought it may be temperature related as in cooler weather it would do it less often, reset the ecu and tcu a number of times, Checked engine and transmission codes nothing at all, no clues. Read every thread on transmissions out there, got some good leads but never a solution. I was thinking about buying a custom programmed TCU but before I pulled the trigger on that, on a whim, I replaced the front speed sensors. Wouldn't you know that solved the problem even though the speed sensors never threw a code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts