Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

So today on my drive home, as I was shifting. Either up or down, don't entirely remember but I think I was shifting into 5th. I couldn't get it to shift into gear. Clutch pedal felt very weak, like no pressure. And there was a noise. I was able to get it to the side of the road.

Not the best with transmissions or clutch knowledge. But, I didn't see any fluid under the jeep when I got it over. I remember my dads old jeep when the clutch pedal had no pressure, I saw a lot of fluid underneath. Also, the brake reservoir was full.

With the jeep off, it went in and out of gear. But when turned back on, I couldn't get it to go in any gear, or reverse. The clutch did seem to get more pressure as it sat. But I also felt like I could feel some minor vibrations in the clutch pedal.

Had it towed to the dealer. And there it sits till they open in the morning. Just wanted some opinions before the dealership starts throwing all sorts of what I did wrong with it!

Some facts about it:
2012 JKU
3.5" Metalcloak lift
35" tires
ACE Front and rear bumpers and side rails.
Gussets
Only off-roaded so far on the beach in then OBX (just moved from Virginia beach to San Diego... Ready to hit the trails...once it's fixed)

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you feel it in the clutch, it was probably clutch-related. Every time i've had a transmission go, i knew by the sound that's exactly what it was. Automatics die slowly and quietly, as the auto disengages, but manuals typically clunk pretty loud.

If you felt like the pressure was building, it's definitely something hydraulic.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I'd bet on air in the clutch line. If it's not air, it's could be the slave or master clutch cylinder that went out. Both are external and are simple to replace. Less likely, but possible, is a failure in the pressure plate or clutch fork. Internal transmission components are extremely unlikely because you can shift fine when the jeep is off.

The details:
When you step on the clutch pedal, you are directly moving the clutch master cylinder on the firewall. The master cylinder pushes hydraulic (brake) fluid down a hose to the slave cylinder on the transmission. The pressure from the hose moves the slave cylinder, which directly pushes on the clutch fork. The clutch fork moves the throwout bearing against the pressure plate (a giant spring) and releases the clutch from the flywheel. The pressure plate spring is the spring you feel in the clutch pedal.

When the clutch pedal becomes light, it's usually because there is air in the hydraulic line. Air compresses (brake fluid does not), so it feels spongy and your efforts can't move the slave cylinder enough to release to pressure plate from the flywheel. This means you can't shift.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Sounds like the hydraulic clutch system. You should have been able to shift out of gear into neutral even without the clutch. Every manual I have ever driven would do that, although I don't do it as a regular habit.

The first hydraulic clutch I ever came into contact with was on a 1958 Ford F100 where I worked in the summer. The truck was several years old and the clutch would "bleed off" when at a traffic light. I would have to shift into neutral and then right before the light changed pump the clutch pedal several times to get it back for shifting. It finally got so bad they finally got it fixed, but I was back in school by then. I also remember the really stiff spring on it.

Not a real fan of hydraulic clutches as the only thing they save you is the linkage. Just had the clutch replaced on the Rubicon, but the hydraulics were fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So got a call from the dealer today. They say my clutch is shredded. It only has 24,800ish miles on it. My last vehicle was a manual and no issues with a clutch ever.

Saying $1600 for a clutch and if the flywheel is damaged another $600.

How do they know the clutch is shredded without pulling anything apart? If that is it, I'd probably ask them to show me. Anything I could do to ensure that is the issue before ponying up, or ask about the other things you guys brought up?

Not too excited about a $2200 fix possibly.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
If there was a noise the clutch could of let go. I would want to see the parts though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After the dealership's estimates and some phone calls, I had it towed from the dealership to Jeep Shack here in San Diego. Owner seems extremely knowledgeable, and looking at his jeep he is working on as well as the others in the parking lot make me feel confident about his repairs vs some kid at the dealership.

Once he got in, he said it is probably the throw out bearing that busted since they are composite and how I described what happened. So going to replace the clutch and put in a metal TOB. As well as take a look at the flywheel and see if it needs to be machined.

I appreciate everyone's quick responses!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I don't understand 24,800ish mile why isn't is being covered under warranty
New car warranties start when the vehicle is sold and his 2012 Jeep would have started selling in 2011 (usually around September). It is possible his warranty is timed out but being April that sounds unlikely. Maybe the clutch is only covered under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty and not the 5 year drive line warranty?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
There is a small inspection hole at the bottom of the transmission. If they see chunks then they deem the clutch is gone. As far as the flywheel I was under the impression it's a dual mass unit that is slightly concaved in shape and cannot be machines but I'm sure that shop knows more than I do lol. Based on the prices quoted I would personally go with a aftermarket clutch. It will come out the same or cheaper.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I do have the max care warranty. But like said, since it's a wear item they wouldn't cover it. Which part of me now believes after talking with the owner of jeep shack, that they might have been seeing pieces from my throw out bearing. And we're going to charge me for a clutch when most likely it was the TOB that really caused the damage and was what they were seeing.

You should have seen the look on the managers face when I told him I was having it towed out of there! Especially the other clients there! I almost thought he would cover the repair when I told him I was towing it out for a better prices quote. But he didn't.

Again not all that familiar with clutches and TOB's, but after some research it appears TOB's are pretty much garbage from MOPAR. I thought I saw a TSB on them. And Jeep Shack replaces the ones in the kit with a metal one from Napa I think he said. Not getting a fancy aftermarket clutch like centerforce from Northridge.

Also, quoted at under $1000 for parts and labor. And said if the flywheel needed to be machined, it would be at cost for him from taking it to a local shop to do. So all in all about $1000 under the quote from the dealer for everything!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
That is a far more reasonable price. The dealership prices are based on their flat rate and the parts full list price. The flywheel is probably based on a new one, not surfacing the current one. It is my understanding that the flywheel is not a flat surface so can't be machined, but can be surfaced to take off any glazing.

Recently had the clutch replaced in my TJ. It was well under a $1000, but then it is a TJ and I am in a semi rural area and used a friend of a friend who has a small shop. Since the TJ had 119K on it, I had the fluids changed in the tranny and transfer case (since they were out). He charged me less than $50 for the fluids. Not necessary in your case since you only have about 25K on them.

You clutch will feel different when you get it back. Over time as those parts wear and start to go bad, the pressure changes, but now you will be back to the new feel. You have also found a good Jeep repair place for those items not covered by any warranty.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's crazy to me too because my clutch has felt the same since the day I got it. At least from what I remember. Unfortunately buying it in 2012 and deploying 4 times after it makes you probably forget. The reason it has under 25000 miles.

Yeah I'm excited to get it back. Also talked to the owner about runs they do around here. Excited to start wheeling it out here. It's only been on the beach in VA/NC.

And the shop is definitely a place I trust to do the right job and at a fair price. It was awesome seeing his jeep as well as the others there. From an expedition jeep to his on coilovers, to another sitting on 40's. Also made me realize all the other things I want to do to my jeep.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You can't machine a dual mass flywheel, if it is in fact a dual mass flywheel - So don't be surprised when he calls you to tell you it needs a new one after he's in there. Some hack shops will just hit it with a flap wheel on an angle grinder but it's not the correct way to do it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts