Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was on the trails yesterday when the jeep started having problems with the transmission. it would go into gear and travel about ten feet and then nothing. the engine would just rev. if i turn the vehicle off and let it sit for a minute the gear would catch and then kick out again after a few feet. dropped it off at the dealership yesterday, so i'll find out tomorrow what the deal is, but was wondering what you guys thought. it's a 99 automatic with about 76,000 miles. any ideas?

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
AD, have you checked your fluid lately? Could've been low and cavitating (Sucking air) into it.

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
checked the fluid on the trail, and it looked ok. smelled a litlle burnt but nothing crazy. does the fluid level change if the engine is hot or cold

·
Knows a couple things...
49,074 Posts
Did that happen while on a steep part of the trail? If so, your tranny's ATF pickup is sucking air so you need to add more ATF and install a deep tranny pain which includes a longer ATF pickup tube. :)

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, the area wasn't steep or anything. the fluid level checked out ok though on the trail. the jeep was pretty warm then, would the level be different if it was cold?

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
yes - your saposed to check the fluid when its warmed up to normal operating temps with the tranny in Neutral.

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
warm or cold, the level didn't matter. the transmission was shot. getting a new one put in today. get to cruise around in a nissian sentra right now. :eek:

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a little over 300 is, the rest is being covered by my warranty.

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lift the sentra!! You can't be ridin' that close to the ground!!
i asked the guy at enterprise how the car was on trails and if they could tow me out if i get stuck. he just looked at me funny. no sense of humor.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
i asked the guy at enterprise how the car was on trails and if they could tow me out if i get stuck. he just looked at me funny. no sense of humor.
Well yeah, that was probably after you gave him your card stating you are putting the fun back in funeral. He was probably scared of you Mr. Cult Figure. :D

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
boy, it's great to have you back :flipoff:

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Sucks man - sorry to hear that... I'm wanting to do an AW4 swap as soon as I can. This 3-speed stuff is annoying.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Just curious, what was the 300+ for if it is under warranty? Its an auto, so you arent paying for a clutch, what could they be charging you for thats "wear and tear" on an auto under warranty?

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i bought the jeep used and also bought an extended warranty. i have to pay 100 deductable plus there are certain parts that they won't cover. i'm not sure exactly what parts they are, but i will find out sometime today when i get the jeep back.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
gotcha. My old chevy was like that. I bought the extended bumper to bumper Jeep warranty for this one, is that what you bought, or did you get aftermarket?

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's an aftermarket warranty, and it's great that i got it. talk to the garage today and now they are saying the vavle body also needs to be replaced, which is also covered. anyone know what the vavle body is?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
valve body is the "brain" of your transmission. valve body has all the fluid passages, valves, and solenoids nessesary to divert the fluid to change gears (switches clutch packs, which changes which planetary gear set does what, changing your gear etc.) also controls line pressure in your trans

basically its very important, very "delicate" and expensive. they probably found metal in the fluid and are replacing as a precaution so it doesnt clog and blow the new transmission.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts