Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do have a problem with my 2008 Jeep Wrangler X Edition. I noticed my tranny slipping so check the transmission fluid and it was practically empty so I did not see any leaks so I filled it. Still having some slipping issues and now noticed where my tranny fluid is going right out the head gasket along the seal. Does this mean my engine is done? I have attached pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If that picture is at the front top of your engine, which I see a alternator Pully so it must be, then that leak is not transmission fluid unless you spilled some. Transmission fluid does not flow internally through the engine or the engine head.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
check your fluids while the jeep is on level ground, even a quart low can give a little slippage and or late gear change.
It's possible you did some damage to the clutch pack internally within the transmission. You will need to take it to a reputable transmission shop to determine this, no one on the Internet will really be able to diagnose it with any certainty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked it when it first started giving me tranny issues and was empty and no leaks anywhere. I am very aware that transmission fluid does not get injected there but which just adds to me scratching my head and wondering where the fluid has gone and then I see this. In the summer my engine oil would also "magically disappear" with no signs of leakage hence why I believe my engine is toast, no mechanic could figure out where the engine oil was going as it didn't seem it was burning or no leaks. I think I bought a lemon

·
Registered
269 Posts
3.8Ls are NOTORIOUS for losing engine oil. To the point where Chrysler won't even acknowledge it as a warranty issue until you're burning more than 1qt every 750 miles (if you're still under warranty). My 3.8L drinks oil like a champ, in the summer I step up to a 10W-30 and that helps a little bit with the consumption issues, here in Michigan I'm a little leery about running a heavier weight oil during the winter. I wouldn't consider the engine a loss just because of the oil consumption unless you've let it go dry.

As for the transmission fluid that is a bit of a mystery, I agree with "2013 Moab" above there is no reason why your transmission fluid should be coming out any engine seals. I assume since you were able to check the fluid level that this is an automatic transmission?

Not to insult your intelligence, but you're certain you put your transmission fluid into the transmission when you refilled it correct? I've caught myself making silly mistakes sometimes after long days at work.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else said. You can only loose trans. fluid by it leaking out. Oil and some 3.8's is another issue. The oil, if it's not leaking onto the ground, is burning internally. You don't see blue smoke like back in the day because the cat converters burn it up, but it does go through the tail pipe. Like 2013 Moab said, a trans. shop needs to diagnose it. Forget taking it to a dealer, most times they only send it out anyway and still charge you for basically doing nothing. Go to another mechanic if he/she didn't know where the oil is going. There are only 2 places it can go like I said. With your 08, Chrysler won't deal with it unless it's using more than 1 qt. per 750 miles based upon the mileage. Check your engine oil at least every other fill up. Your 3.8 takes 6 qts. of oil with filter.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What I meant to convey to you was to RE-check your trans fluid again, just cheap reassurance before moving onto the next step.

I'm not sure why you say your engine is toast, I'll assume it's because of the oil loss. I assure you it in fact is not toast but you MUST keep an eye on the oil level or it will be toast. I'd recommend at least once a week or at every fill up, which ever comes first.

Like others have said, it is a known problem for some of the 3.8l engines, do a search and you'll get a good amount of information.

Hope all your issues get resolved without costing too much time and money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright checked it out and its my coolant and not transmission fluid. So still wondering how my tranny fluid was empty but at least one less thing to worry about and one more problem to add

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Are you Certain you do not have a transmission cooler line thats dripping ?
The Trans fluid circulates thru a "cooler" inside the radiator, this "cooler" could also be leaking, do you have trans fluid in your coolant ?
Just more ideas to ponder..... "BH"

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a 91 full size chevy blazer, and the seal between the transmission and the 4wd transfer case went bad. I would get low on tranny fluid, because it was leaking into the transfer case and then going out an overflow valve when I would drive. I have no idea if jeep/chrysler transmissions and transfer case have the same design but its something to think about??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts