Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 1980 CJ-7 with an AMC 360/T176/Dana300. The transmission slips out of gear quite a bit, especially when applying power. I was told that the synchros are bad. First, is that true? And second, how involved (expensive) is that to fix? I've never touched the inside of a transmission, and I really don't feel comfortable tearing into one without help. Plus, my tool selection is limited to basic stuff and body work tools.

Also, the seller put on a brand new Holley carb, but never adjusted it...just stuck it on the intake and hooked it up. It starts easily, but there's a huge dead spot just off-idle and it acts like a Harley...it won't stay running unless you constantly rev it up. (Just messing with you Harley guys.)

Lastly, the throttle pedal is stiff as HELL. Is there a trick to making that a little more user-friendly?

Thanks in advance for any of your help.

:D

·
Registered
564 Posts
Also, the seller put on a brand new Holley carb, but never adjusted it...just stuck it on the intake and hooked it up. It starts easily, but there's a huge dead spot just off-idle and it acts like a Harley...it won't stay running unless you constantly rev it up. (Just messing with you Harley guys.)
:D
Not a mechanic here, but I'm gonna put a Howell throttle body injection unit on my '80 CJ V8. They ain't cheap, but they are supposed to beat the hell out of a carburetor. (I've run both a stock and a Holley carb). One guy on this board says the Howell unit keeps the engine running even when the Jeep is upside down; no carb will do that!

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Renaissance_Redneck said:
Not a mechanic here, but I'm gonna put a Howell throttle body injection unit on my '80 CJ V8. They ain't cheap, but they are supposed to beat the hell out of a carburetor. (I've run both a stock and a Holley carb). One guy on this board says the Howell unit keeps the engine running even when the Jeep is upside down; no carb will do that!
I really just want to get it running smoothly for now. Eventually I want to yank the AMC 360 and replace it with an injected Ford small block.

·
Registered
564 Posts
cavediverjc;1901217 Eventually I want to yank the AMC 360 and replace it with an injected Ford small block.[/QUOTE said:
I had thought about that too. But I'm gonna swap out my 304 for a 360, and put in the fuel injection. Doing that just 'cuz it's an easier swap than the Ford engine.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's cool. I guess it's all a moot point now...I just spoke with the seller and we couldn't agree on a purchase price. Had to walk away from this one. There will be others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts