Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Ax15

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
overdrive or no overdrive? your questions are vague

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not sure what auto the 87 YJ had in it but if it was the Torque flight 999 that is a solid trans and a good rebuild on yours would be all you need. The TF999 was a very good trans. If you want to go to an overdrive trans and pay the big bucks to upgrade there are options out there. The GM 700R4 would be worth looking into.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
The 700R4 is the worst transmission i have ever encountered the 4l60e is a little better but i would not try to swap one behind a 258. You would be better off using an AW4 (if you want overdrive) you wouldent need adapters and would just have to wire up the computer to shift it.

·
Registered
15,698 Posts
Agree the stock 3spd auto is best

Also agree if gotta have overdrive get an xj AW4 and wire in the xj TCM
However the aw4 while long lasting and well made runs pretty hot and is longer then ideal for a YJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
overdrive or no overdrive? your questions are vague
Let me clarify my question
What I’m looking for is a solid automatic trans that I can do some light to medium off road stuff in, must be an automatic as I have a bum left leg thanks to a military injury..I picked up a rebuilt 258 motor thru a friends friend that has was bored out some and has zero miles o in it...

As for overdrive it really does not matter

Hope this helps

·
Registered
9,000 Posts

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Thanks sorry for the confusion on my part

I found all the info I needed

Y’all have a great day
Not a problem... keep us posted on your progress...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts