Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I've owned my 2012 JKU (manual) for almost 6 months now, and it is doing something concerning intermittently.

Sometimes when the vehicle is at hot idle, I hear a rattle coming from the transmission. It isn't that noticeable in the driver seat unless I'm in an enclosed area such as my garage or a drive through, or if I crawl under the Jeep. If I rev it up a bit while it is rattling, it gets a bit louder then disappears at the slightly higher RPM. Depressing the clutch to the floor makes the rattle go away.

I've taken it to the dealer (I have extended warranty) and they dismissed me entirely saying no one could find anything wrong with it. I might just have to drop what I'm doing and take it to them when it happens since the problem is intermittent. There are no other problems from what I can tell.

Lots of threads I've read regarding the JK manual transmission that it is just inherently loud and clunky, even though there is nothing wrong with it. Since this is my first daily driver Manual (last Jeep was auto) I was wondering if it possible the noise I hear is just normal...

Anyway, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got 11000 miles on my 2012 JK Sport and it started doing the same thing..I checked the transmission fluid and it was black as motor oil and a quart low. The transmission only holds two quarts so being one down was pretty significant. I was pissed at my dealer since they are the only ones to have serviced it since new. They are supposed to check ALL fluid levels when they do a service. Anyhow I installed Pennzoil Syncromesh and all is right with the world now. I was worried there might have been some damage due to the low oil level but everything seems fine now. It also shifts completely different. No more grinding going into 2nd and 3rd and easy to get into reverse now.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That's your throw out bearing. It'll make a little noise but it's not serious. My 06' Tacoma did the same thing for years. You could replace it but it'll just go bad again anyway. Google "throwout bearing noise".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got 11000 miles on my 2012 JK Sport and it started doing the same thing..I checked the transmission fluid and it was black as motor oil and a quart low. The transmission only holds two quarts so being one down was pretty significant. I was pissed at my dealer since they are the only ones to have serviced it since new. They are supposed to check ALL fluid levels when they do a service. Anyhow I installed Pennzoil Syncromesh and all is right with the world now. I was worried there might have been some damage due to the low oil level but everything seems fine now. It also shifts completely different. No more grinding going into 2nd and 3rd and easy to get into reverse now.
Well I took your advice and I drained the old fluid. I only got about 1.25L out, which seemed significantly low to me. I replaced with just over 2 quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh, and it has made a world of difference. The thing is super quiet, and I haven't heard the rattle since. It shifts as smooth as butter.

I wanted to go lose my shit on the dealership for not even inspecting the transmission fluid level, but this is step 5 from the NSG370 service manual for drain and fill of fluid:

5.Fill transmission with 1.5 L (3.17 pts.) of Mopar® Manual Transmission Lubricant MS-9224 or to the bottom of the fill plug (1) hole.

So it looks like you can only fill it to 1.5 litres if you want! So I don't really think I have a case against the dealership. I just don't understand why you would opt only to put 1.5 litres in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts