Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last two days, we've had -45c (with windchill) temperatures.

I've noticed if the Jeep is started and put into gear the transmission seems to slip for a second or two.

Is this normal in extreme weather?

I also get belt squeal for a few seconds and the suspension seems to be "frozen" at first

FYI - My KIA Optima starts no issues at -45c without even being plugged in, Jeep doesn't like anything colder then -30c without being plugged in

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
OH god why would you want to live there! That's insane.

Hard to say really. Fluids dont work the same at -45C compared to 80C (normalish running temp). Engineers design it to work optimally at running temp.

I know when it's right around 0c my jeep wants to drive through the brakes due to the colder, thicker ATF.

My poor 7.3 would die up there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Extreme temps are rough on fluids. We woke up to -3 f this morning and we got a groan from thee of our vehicles and my sons diesel wouldn't start. These are some extreme temps and require some prep.
When I know temps like this are coming I try to prepare for it. Fill the tank with gas, when starting I let it get half way to temp before I try to drive. Fluids are almost like molasses in these temps so you need to get everything warm before you put it in drive. When you do take off, do so slow and easy for a couple of miles.

Cant wait for spring!!!!!!!!!!! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts