Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's done this 3 times this week... From R to D, it just doesn't engage or something for a few seconds... 01' TJ, Auto, 48k. Only thing that's changed prior to it doing this is the radiator was replaced Sunday, then Monday morning, first thing out of the driveway.... put it in D, mashed the gas, and vroom, but no go... happened again two other times. It engages after a few seconds. Any clues as to the cause/fix would be greatly appreciated.

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
Mine started doing the same thing every once and awhile. I dropped the trans pan and changed the fluid and filter. Its been running fine ever since. Also just make sure your trans fluid is full to start with.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll have to look into that. Just last month the oil change place said my fluid needed changing, but it looked fine, just not sure about the level... No clue how to change it, I'll have to find someone to do it, other than the oil change guys, cause they are wieners.... :(

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Yea I would change the fluid and filter and clean out the pan really well. It actually is quite easy to do. It will take you an hour or two and you will need minimal tools. I'd be happy to walk you through it. Just let me know.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Yeah, if it's anything like my old Dakota transmission (42RE) fluid/filter change is cake...new filter was like $20. Drop the tranny pan... slooooowly cuz it's gonna pour fluid from every orifice (it's best to try to get one corner lower than all the rest so it pours out from there and into your catch pan). I then took some thin aquarium airline tubing and stuck it down into the pan before removing it and siphoned as much as I could out using that method (optional). From there, hold your pan up in place and remove all bolts...there's like 12. Drop pan straight down careful not to spill the remaining fluid all over the place (this is why I siphoned a bunch out...less remaining fluid in the pan). The transmission will continue to pour fluid all over for a few...but it'll stop pretty quickly.

Dispose of old fluid, remove filter via a couple of screws. Install new filter. Clean magnet off pan and check for any abnormally large shavings. Clean all the sludge out of pan, scrape old gasket material off pan. Install new gasket/use RTV gasket maker on pan. Reinstall pan, follow manual for tightening procedure/correct torque...DON'T cross thread any pan bolts or you'll have a "forever leak" like my truck did after I stripped out the only bolt I couldn't helicoil without dropping my exhaust. Torque bolts up to specs. Refill transmission with proper fluid type and amount. There will still be fluid in your transmission but unless you do a flush, you won't get all the old out. Check level in neutral with engine running or however the procedure is recommended for the Jeeps. Top off as necessary.

See... very simple. On my truck it was cake...needed a socket for the transmission pan bolts and either a screwdriver or a smaller socket for the filter screws. And a drain pan, cat litter for spilled oil cleanup, shampoo (didn't dodge the fluid fast enough when it poured all over my head.....), and a fresh change of clothes. lol

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Although...if you have someone else do it, you could also have the bands checked and adjusted if needed, which could be related to your problem. Band adjustment is a bit more of a PIA. If I remember right, it requires very specific adjustments with a torque wrench. Not so much difficult as just... "If you screw this up, your transmission is gonna be all sorts of whacked!" lol

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Yea he hit it right on the head with the changing of the tranny filter & fluid. I have never needed to adjust the bands so I cannot speak to that. It helps to drop the shovel pan, but can be done without dropping it. Usually just changing the filter and fluid will be enough to get the tranny working properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same thing happen on mine. I tried a fluid and filter change though and although it helped, I'm still experiencing the issue. Any other thoughts on what I can do? I've thought about taking it into the shop but if they're going to charge me $2000 for a rebuild(which has happened in the past) I might as well wait until it gives out and get more bang for my buck. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Did you replace the fluid you lost when you R&R'd that rad? I dunno how much it holds but that could make the difference....

·
Registered
2018 JK Willys Wheeler W: Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front, 3.73 gears, Rock Rails, BFG Mud Terrains
447 Posts
Check the linkage. It could be the gear cable itself. Had one go out in a dodge (dodge =chrysler=jeep...) intrepid and had to replace the cable. PITA but it worked. Tranny shop wanted to replace the whole thing... See if you have any issues shifting into lower gears and if it feels stiff or has a hard time moving this may be your problem.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Did they lose fluid from the trans cooler within the radiator??? Thats probably your cause right there man... get out your book and check your fluid, the torque convertor is the first to show signs of low fluid and it will do exactly what your explaining because of air. After a radiator swap they should have tested how it shifted and run out any air by replenishing any lost fluid.

you'd think "how could a radiator swap affect the trans? ...by losing fluid from the trans cooler :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
trans noise

My Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, when starting at a low speed like 5 MPH it acts like its on ice just for a very short second. Then it goes and you hear a clunck nose but other than that its fine at all other speeds?????

·
Registered
206 Posts
Why was radiator replaced. Overheated engine ? Remember Trans cooler is in radiator so if you overheated engine there is a good chance of your tranny fluid breaking down in viscosity and possible tranny problems .Try the fluid and filter change see if it helps

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just take it to valvoline instant o/c and have them flush it. I did it with my jeep and saturn. They take all damage responsibility after that. Just don't tell them it's messing up. Tell them you want it for preventive maint

1 - 14 of 14 Posts