Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently bought my dads 1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ with a ax-15 transmission. The jeep has sat for about 5 years. The transmission has always been a problem but when I got the jeep I was able to drive it for a week before it decided it didn’t want to go into gear at all. Second gear was always an issue but now it won’t go into any gear at all. It also wants to move forward when it is not in any gear at all. I don’t want to keep tanking money into this transmission so I would like to swap it into an automatic transmission. Was wondering if anyone could give me some help with what to use and what all is needed. Thank you very much for the help!

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Welcome to the Forum AMJ44,

I haven't done that swap, but there's other posters that can give good advice about which transmission to use and why.
If you really want an auto trans, go ahead. It might be less expensive to find a good used or rebuilt AX15.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,948 Posts
Welcome, 88 came stock with a Peugeot BA-10 Did your Dad do the ax-15 swap already once before? The ax-15 adapter is worth a couple bucks on resale, especially with an external slave assembly.

Sorry, Can't offer any advice on the auto swap, not in my skillset, but you can find an FSM in the dropbox link at the bottom of my signature to start doing some research.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to the both of you for the help. I honestly am not sure what he has done to it and he isn’t much help really. I have just been trying to do some research and thought it might be the ax-15. I could be very wrong lol.
I know a lot of people think I’m crazy for wanting to swap it into a automatic but this transmission now has always been an issue and many people have tried to fix it. I don’t really want to put money into it. But always open to advice and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,948 Posts
If you look at the bottom of the transmission you should be able to see two halves bolted together if it's a BA-10, if it is, another "Frenchie" bites the dust. You could go to the AX-15 and not have to deal with the auto swap. The ax-15 is a little involved, but a much sturdier transmission.

·
Retired Moderator
100,619 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts