Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've thought myself a fair amount of things about the mechanics of Jeeps over the past few months but I've never really looked into tranny swaps. So I'm wondering what would be the best trans to swap in to my Jeep for what I want to do.

She's my dd, but once she's done up and capable, I plan on taking her offroad sometimes (as much as I can). So being a dd, I need her to be street safe and capable first. I know some transmissions are more suited for offroad use so I'm not trying to go that route. But what I would like to know is what transmission is ideal for street use, being able to stay up to speed on the highway, has the strength to stand up to a future motor swap, and will still get me along while wheeling. Automatic please!

Also, this is a dumb question probably, but 4 gears is better than 3 right!?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You'll get better low-end power and cruising on-road speeds if you use a manual tranny, the autos will bog down once you get bigger tires and all. Being able to select which gear you want to be in is imperative when you're off the pavement. The Ax-15 is the best tranny behind any YJ in my opinion.

Are you looking to swap in any transmission in? Or just a stock Jeep one? They don't just bolt up/in its a lot of work and modifying either way.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Four gears can be better, but not always. In your case, shoot for the 4, a little better mpg if its set up right.

As suggested if you get bigger tires, it changes your final gear ratio, and in turn puts more stresses on things. Keep in mind the kind of changes you wish, ask questions, and get a good gear ratio installed if you change to bigger tires. One way to help in the interim would be to change torque converter and put a trans cooler on. That way you can keep the motor running in its ideal rpm while driving. (assuming you dont change gears) but as soon as you do, then the trans would need to be addressed again.

Also, I agree, getting another trans that is not your standard will require some modifying. Be prepared for lots of issues to address.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've also seen that going from the 3 speed to a 4 speed requires changing the shifter or something (please forgive my lack of proper terms). I think people use "Lokar" shifters or something? What does that mean? Like what does it actually require doing to make work?

And my plan is to swap either a d44 or d60 in the front and preferably a 10.25 in the rear. For now I'd be running the 4.0 still, but I want to do a 4bt swap a WAYS down the road.

With the axle swap is be going SOA and putting on 35s or by some small chance, 37s. I'd obviously need to regear for that. I think I would do the axle swap and lift first, and then the trans swap later. I'm just trying to gain some insight as to how this all works.

I hope this info helps as to what would be an ideal setup :p

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've also seen that going from the 3 speed to a 4 speed requires changing the shifter or something (please forgive my lack of proper terms). I think people use "Lokar" shifters or something? What does that mean? Like what does it actually require doing to make work?
Basically what happens, is the indents for PRND21 (or what ever the lay out is) will be off if you use the existing system with a different trans like going from a 3sp to a 4sp like you are suggesting.

And my plan is to swap either a d44 or d60 in the front and preferably a 10.25 in the rear. For now I'd be running the 4.0 still, but I want to do a 4bt swap a WAYS down the road.
That I have no experience with. :)

With the axle swap is be going SOA and putting on 35s or by some small chance, 37s. I'd obviously need to regear for that. I think I would do the axle swap and lift first, and then the trans swap later. I'm just trying to gain some insight as to how this all works.

I hope this info helps as to what would be an ideal setup :p
Sounds like a doable plan.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Okay so the prndl would still work though? Like would putting it in drive still put it I'm drive?
Basically yes, but no. The transmission detents will be right, but your dash indication will not be right. You may have to have it in N to be in drive, and the like.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Unfortunately Im not completely sure. I think you have to replace the steering column, if it is that version. Either way you have to replace the linkage and the indicators so that they match the transmission to get it all to line up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
this is actually a great question. I was going to start a thread but figured that someone HAD to have asked the tranny swap question.

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread and I apologize if I am. I'll see if the mods can delete my stupidity.

My question is, I have the puegot in my 88 and I'd like to burn it, throw it off a building and hope nobody ever finds it! Will that Ax15 bolt in or am I asking for a headache trying to do that?

EDIT: never mind. Found what I needed with a little googlin'
For anyone that cares about the same question
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/peugeot-ba-10-5-ax15-not-1269106/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts