Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Sorry man, only another Ax-5 will fit / bolt up without some degree of modification. Why are you looking to replace it by the way? I have seen someone go from an Ax-4 to an Ax-5 with not that much effort, but that's definitely a downgrade the other way around.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine will probably need to be rebuilt in the next few months. So i was looking to see if there were some better options out there. Is there a good manual out there that would be great for rebuilding it myself?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in the same boat, maybe a little more hurried. The AX-5 in my 95 yj 2.5L bit the bullet a little while ago..NP.. I'm working out of town and she's not my DD. Now I'm back and looking to get her out on the trails. I incorrectly assumed from some things that I'd read that the AX-15 would bolt up with very little work and is considered pretty stout, even capable of backing up a SBC. Then I discovered by doing some more in depth research that even that requires jumping through some hoops. So I'm trying to decide what hoops I'm willing to jump through.
That said, there is a lot of good info on www.Novak-adapt.com..also on AdvanceAdapters.com | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters and additionally there are some great videos on Youtube on rebuilding..just google it...and good luck!
I recently found a used AX-15 at a good price and am considering swapping that in. I've also just bought a donor pick-up with an LT1 and 4L60e but it's in such good shape I hesitate to open it for the power train. Once I decide which way to go I'll be on here with some updates and hopefully some pics.
Look at Youtube video's from robinsonsauto..some great vid's on teardown and rebuild ..and again, good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool..thanks. i will look at some and see what i can find. If all works out i think im going to try and find another ax5 and rebuild that one then swap it in...since my yj is my dd.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I found someone local who has a rebuilt ax5 in his shop that someone had done and never picked up.... he wants $500 for it and I am thinking it might be worth grabbing to replace the one in the boys ride... the synchros are going fast in it....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts