Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you swap out a CJ7 manual transmission for an automatic that is floor mounted as opposed to a column mounted one?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think they were column mounted and the manual stunk,I would NEVER want an auto trans but I had a 1983 and the manual trans stunk besides being clunky/noisy!mine was fixed soo many times that I just gave up and sold it!my buddy had a column auto and it drove fine/had no problems! I was probably just young and stupid(18yrs old)but the manual trans were expensive! I asked around why a used manual was soo expensive and everyone at the time just basically stated because they are junk and always break?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm sure there must be better options/fixes by now,I had it in 1996?i believe it was called a t5 trans which I would avoid unless they have some kind of advancements since then?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Can you swap out a CJ7 manual transmission for an automatic that is floor mounted as opposed to a column mounted one?
You can. Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Did you have an idea on what trans you wanted to swap in? You may just have to do some floor cutting and find a way to make a shift linkage work. B&M I think has a kit for this that might make your life easier.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just wondering if it can be done. My knee can't do a clutch anymore, but even though I drive a JK wrangler, I've never gotten over my CJ.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It can be done. I swapped out my T150 3 speed and Dana 20 for a TF999 and Dana 300 behind my 304. I used a B&M floor shifter.

That was several years ago.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you otherwise enjoy driving a manual transmission, you might consider converting to a hydraulic clutch setup. They are easier on the knee than the manual bellcrank.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
T4's and T5's were junk but still better than the JK's NSG370 6 speed. I got really good at working on TREMEC's i have rebuilt many of them from jeeps to chevys to mustangs. They are easy to work on and parts are cheap. The earlier CJ's had much stronger transmissions.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
An AW4 automatic transmission from an Xj is a purdy easy and straight forward swap. I've done a few of these swaps and finishing up one now.
These are great transmissions and are very plentiful in the junkyards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts