Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2000TJ, 5 speed, and for about a year now it has been randomly poping out of 1st. So ... this weekend we are installing a 6 speed tranny from a 2006 Rubicon. We believe it should pretty much mount up painlessly.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
the 6-speed transmission is longer than the 5-speed. you´ll need a shorter rear driveshaft if you don´t have an SYE with a CV driveshaft. the front driveshaft should handle this difference.

all mount points are the same. everything should fit. only the whole drivetrain will become a bit longer.

we did such a tranny swap on a friends TJ. (5-speed manual to 3-speed auto)

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
one more thing about the rear drive shaft.
if you have a lift like a 2" BB that I have the stock driveshaft will fit. but i think that the drive shaft angle will be too big and that there will be some driveshaft vibes.
the problem is that the rear driveshaft goes into the TC when your rear axle bounces and comes out of the TC when your rear axle releases. if the driveshaft is too long it can damage the TC while the rear axle bounces.
just try it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, there's some lift, 2"spacers, 2" bl, and some coils, so we'll know tomorrow ... gotta get it ready for a night run. I'm in the east coast of Canada, snow, and -20 ... rock'n roll

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Yeah, there's some lift, 2"spacers, 2" bl, and some coils, so we'll know tomorrow ... gotta get it ready for a night run. I'm in the east coast of Canada, snow, and -20 ... rock'n roll
with a lift it will fit. perhaps you have to drop the TC a bit because of some driveshaft vibes.

here in hamburg, germany it´s -2 degrees C and it´s raining...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hello, I have a 2000TJ, 5 speed, and for about a year now it has been randomly poping out of 1st. So ... this weekend we are installing a 6 speed tranny from a 2006 Rubicon. We believe it should pretty much mount up painlessly.
Any thoughts?
I'm fairly certain that for a 2000 that used to have the NV3550, going to a 6 speed, you will need to have the bell housing machined.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything bolted up ok, but there is a different 'crank sensor' (?). We also have to customize the shifter. Hopefully we'll be back on the road tomoorow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All is well. The transplant is a success!
We re-wired the crank positioning sensor, and customized the shifter, and I am back in the saddle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts