Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 wrangler 2.5 auto. transmission begining to slip alot changed filter and fluid and tighten bands to spech. thinking about going with a stick shift. what do i need to this? besides transmission and clutch padel? will drive shaft fit? thanks in advance

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, thats WAAAAAYYYY OVERKILL. I Took a 5 speed out of my 2.5 TJ and put an auto in. The 2.5 has its own unique bellhousing pattern and only the AX-5 will fit it. I would HIGHLY suggest that you dont change to an 5 speed. The auto is stronger, and helps alot with the lack of low end power that the 2.5 is missing. If you really decide to do it, there are quite a few little things that you will need to do. You will need the pedal assembly, a clutch master cylinder, Flywheel, crank sensor and a few wiring harness overlays, a new computer, and a new rear drive line. There will also be little things that you need to do such as removing the little adapter mount on the trans mount at the skidplate so you can install the trans mount in a different place on the skid. If I rmember right you will also need a new stop light switch and bracket, along with a clucth safety switch too. All in all, its ALOT of work, I think you will be unhappy with in the end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Manual to auto swap on a 2000 4cyl.

Well, thats WAAAAAYYYY OVERKILL. I Took a 5 speed out of my 2.5 TJ and put an auto in. The 2.5 has its own unique bellhousing pattern and only the AX-5 will fit it. I would HIGHLY suggest that you dont change to an 5 speed. The auto is stronger, and helps alot with the lack of low end power that the 2.5 is missing. If you really decide to do it, there are quite a few little things that you will need to do. You will need the pedal assembly, a clutch master cylinder, Flywheel, crank sensor and a few wiring harness overlays, a new computer, and a new rear drive line. There will also be little things that you need to do such as removing the little adapter mount on the trans mount at the skidplate so you can install the trans mount in a different place on the skid. If I rmember right you will also need a new stop light switch and bracket, along with a clucth safety switch too. All in all, its ALOT of work, I think you will be unhappy with in the end.
Would you or anyone be willing to give me some pointers on swapping out a manual transmission on a 2000 TJ 4cyl. for an automatic? Having owned an automatic in the past I much prefer it. Though the one I used to own was a 4.0L I think it would still be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts