Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shuld i disconect the transfer case on my ax 5 transmission to re install it to my jeep. im not useing any kind of lift for it just a floor jack to remove and reinstall.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It's up to you and how much easier/harder for one person to do. If its just you I saw disconnect it. If you have help leave it and muscle it up.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
I could be a real b$#@& to line up and with all the weight and size you better have some friends.

It is doable though.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You can rent a transmission jack....... easiest way.......unless you are laying on the ground... then it might not fit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i borrowed my friends transmission jack but the jeeps on the floor and it wont fit

·
Registered
44 Posts
From my experience it is easier to get it in with it together because it is hard to get the nuts on that transfer case after the transmission is in. Not to metion it will seal better with you tightening it up on the work bench as well. May be easier with a ratchet wrench but it was hell with an open end.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have done it both ways. I have found that a set of ratchet wrenches are awesome to remove the bolts holding the TC to the trans. Actually I think all you need is a 9/16. Sockets dont work too well because they don't fit. I can separate my TC in under 10 min easily. Same goes for putting it back in. It makes lining everything up with the pilot bushing much easier when you put it back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts