Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, i am new here to this forum.
i have a 1991 wrangler 2.5 5spd. i need a transmission for it. i was wondering if anybody could tell me which model transmission is in this jeep? is it an AX-15? And also, if the stock trans is worth rebuilding/replacing with another oem (i ask that because i hear the ax-15 is junk, if that is infact what is in it), or if there is a better manual trans that will swap in easy and if so, which?

thanks for all and any of your help, it is much appreciated!!
Andrew

·
Registered
444 Posts
It's a AX-15.

They are pretty good IMO (some jeeps take them out and upgrade for better off roading trannys) As a Daily Driver mine works fine. Depending on what you do with your jeep should answer your question if you want to swap it out with a more solid tranny.

This site (along with Wrangler Forums) will help you learn all that is for Jeeps.

Novak Jeep Conversions - Home

^^use that site as a guide for possible upgrades.

Also,
Welcome
-c-

·
Registered
513 Posts
^x2

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
It's a AX-15.

They are pretty good IMO (some jeeps take them out and upgrade for better off roading trannys) As a Daily Driver mine works fine. Depending on what you do with your jeep should answer your question if you want to swap it out with a more solid tranny.

This site (along with Wrangler Forums) will help you learn all that is for Jeeps.

Novak Jeep Conversions - Home

^^use that site as a guide for possible upgrades.

Also,
Welcome
-c-
Not to be rude, but your jeep doesn't have an AX-15. Yours has either an AX-5, if it's a manual, or a T904 if it's an auto. Nice lookin' Rio Grande by the way.

As for the OP, yours is an AX5. That is what came stock with your jeep.

Take a look at:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/the-yj-guide-68748.html

Has a lot of info on the basic info on your particular jeep.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hello everybody, i am new here to this forum.
i have a 1991 wrangler 2.5 5spd. i need a transmission for it. i was wondering if anybody could tell me which model transmission is in this jeep? is it an AX-15? And also, if the stock trans is worth rebuilding/replacing with another oem (i ask that because i hear the ax-15 is junk, if that is infact what is in it), or if there is a better manual trans that will swap in easy and if so, which?

thanks for all and any of your help, it is much appreciated!!
Andrew
Also, the AX-15 isn't junk. It's the best Jeep transmission. Your jeep however doesn't have one. The AX-5 is typically thought of as junk, but an AX-15 will not bolt up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks guys for all your help. yes i have a manual trans, so its an ax-5 then, i guess. so they are thought of as junk. does that mean i shouldnt bother putting another ax5 in? it is a daily driver, not a whole lot of off roading, if any. just dirt roads, fields, etc., i suppose. no crazy mudding or climbing. thanks guys!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I personally like my AX-5 and I am also more of a fan of rebuilding your original transmission than buying a used one or rebuilt one. You generally save no money and you have no idea what a used transmission has gone through before you get it (in many cases it is worse than the one you already have) and a rebuilt one you generally dont know who rebuilt them or what parts were used. If you rebuild the one you have (or have a local guy do it) you have some say so in parts and have the local reputation of the mechanic (and / or somebody to take it back to if there are any problems).

I wheel my AX-5 HARD almost every week-end and have had little trouble with it for 2 years now. I feel anybody could do the same as long as you follow basic trans maintenance (ie: keeping eye on fluid and water out) the same as you would have to with any transmission & be somewhat throttle responsible on the trail. Also get a good clutch and diff gears that is intended for the tire size you are using.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do you know where i can get that clip and collar repair kit? is consolidated trans a site? i typed them in google, and things came up about them being a rip-off haha.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not to be rude, but your jeep doesn't have an AX-15. Yours has either an AX-5, if it's a manual, or a T904 if it's an auto. Nice lookin' Rio Grande by the way.

As for the OP, yours is an AX5. That is what came stock with your jeep.

Take a look at:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/the-yj-guide-68748.html

Has a lot of info on the basic info on your particular jeep.
I just noted that I put a 1 in there. feelsbadman.
Drinking and commenting don't work well for me. :banghead:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think i have the same problem with my AX-5. I haven't diagnosed it yet, but when i put it in 5th gear, it engages and then just shakes and grinds a lot, does that sound like your problem? I feel like we're in the same boat, but just wanna make sure!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea mine is a grinding and whining problem, not really a neutral problem, like with the broken clip issue. maybe its the start of that, idk.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts