Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2003 jeep wranglers transmission started slipping but it would still go into the 3rd gear{automatic} until the ck engine lite came on then it would not. took it to a transmission shop and was told it was not the transmission either the cpu or relay switch, changed out the relay and everthing was fine but the ck engine light stayed on and still would not go into final gear. talked to my jeep guy and he told me to unhook the battery nfor 15 min and if that did not work to start and stop the engine 50 times, got to about 30 and my crankshaft damper started acting crazt, took it off and it broke in about 3 peices. so i guess my question is could that damper been causiny my trans to slip?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats what i was asking, if the transmission shop says its not the trans but it continues to slip? need some ideas here

·
Registered
789 Posts
I could see an electronic control module causing a problem, or a vacuum leak possibly, or low transmission oil level, but not an anti vibration device on the engine.

Your best bet would be to throw an OBD2 code reader in the Jeep and see what the actual code is that's triggering the check engine light. That way you can both clear the code, and know why the computer is throwing a code to begin with. For the cost of a mechanic to pull the codes, you can buy your own OBD2 code reader from any auto parts store. A lot better than just guessing, cheaper too.

If you're in the greater Bay Area, you're welcome to use mine.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
He can read his own codes by only turning the ignition key on off on (not to Start) 3 times within 5 seconds. After that, wait for the codes to begin displaying in the odometer. He can also clear his own codes by disconnecting the battery's negative lead for 5 minutes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts