Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Florida jeeper checking in. I'll be visiting family in Atlanta for Thanksgiving and I'm planning a trip to Helen, GA the day after on Friday the 24th. The girlfriend, dog, and I will be making a tray mountain ride if anyone else wants to join.

The plan is to take the dirt road from the Unicoi Turnpike (super easy trail from what I've read) up to the parking area, we'll hop out and hike to the Tray Mountain summit for some pics and then hop back in the Jeep and take Tray Mountain Road (moderate trail) back down.

It will be my first time in the area so if you'll be joining and have some other trail suggestions I'm open to whatever. Let me know!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Try going up Chimney Mountain road from the southside of Tray Mountain. It's a fun climb. Looks worse than it is, but still better than a dirt road.

·
Registered
409 Posts
so jealous. been wanting to try out Tray Mountain, but I am heading in the opposite direction. Thanksgiving in Florida. Worse the jeep will be home in the garage since it will not fit the kids, dogs, and the wife.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try going up Chimney Mountain road from the southside of Tray Mountain. It's a fun climb. Looks worse than it is, but still better than a dirt road.
I would if I had a winch/recovery gear or if I was with a group but having not been there before it'd be too risky to go alone with the girlfriend and dog. Girlfriend already hates how much attention I give my Jeep, getting stuck with her and no winch would make her despise it :D

so jealous. been wanting to try out Tray Mountain, but I am heading in the opposite direction. Thanksgiving in Florida. Worse the jeep will be home in the garage since it will not fit the kids, dogs, and the wife.
We took a road trip to Savannah last week in gf's Tuscon, not a bad vehicle but every second I spent driving I was missing my Jeep. If you ever do get to Florida with the jeep check out Ocala National Forest, some decent trail by FL standards there.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't Chimney (Mtn) View Rd the same as Tray Mtn Rd?
Chimney View Rd comes out on GA-356 (Unico Rd)

Tray Mtn Rd proper starts on the other side of Helen, on GA-17 correct?
I have never been on the Anna Ruby Falls area Rd so I might be confused. Google doesn't show the roads connecting at the falls though.

If you come up from GA-365 to the parking lot there is a good sized drainage pipe and drop off you'll have to climb. Coming down that way will be easier depending on any corrosion over the last couple years.

Fun trail!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't Chimney (Mtn) View Rd the same as Tray Mtn Rd?
Chimney View Rd comes out on GA-356 (Unico Rd)

Tray Mtn Rd proper starts on the other side of Helen, on GA-17 correct?
I have never been on the Anna Ruby Falls area Rd so I might be confused. Google doesn't show the roads connecting at the falls though.

If you come up from GA-365 to the parking lot there is a good sized drainage pipe and drop off you'll have to climb. Coming down that way will be easier depending on any corrosion over the last couple years.

Fun trail!
You could be right. I got a lot of my information from this trail report:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f70/tray-mountain-trail-report-noob-version-1187721.html

He makes it sound like Tray Mountain Rd. and Chimney Mountain Rd. are two separate roads. It will be my first time visiting the area so I have no clue, might have to do some more google research before I head up there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at a topo map I see that if you enter chimney mountain rd from the south (356) it ultimately turns into tray mountain rd. as you ascend

And after doing some more research I'm definitely leaning towards this, man it looks fun compared to the stuff we have here in FL.

If anyone is interested I can do Saturday too :)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
If you come up Tray Mtn Rd (Just a regular type forest road) you eventually get to a large parking lot on the top, with walking trails. You'll see where Tray Mtn Rd descends as you continue over the ridge.

Some Baby Head rocks and wash outs then the drainage pipe to get down over. I was in a stock Rubicon Hard Rock with a winch and scrapped a bit and hit my rear tow point some. Most of the trail down is some mud and small rocks as I remember. There were several trees down across the trail but I fit well under them. Yes a nice day in the forest.

Reactions: JKRubi11

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
T minus 7 days and my ARB E-Z tire deflator is arriving in the mail today... replacing a seized caliper this weekend plus new front pads and rotors, and an oil change before I hit the road. I'm excited.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Chimney Mountain Rd is doable in a stock Jeep. I have been on many runs taking our new club members out to get their feet wet. You should be fine without any recovery gear. There is really only one section that is moderate - go slow and pick your lines and you'll be fine...

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Florida jeeper checking in. I'll be visiting family in Atlanta for Thanksgiving and I'm planning a trip to Helen, GA the day after on Friday the 24th. The girlfriend, dog, and I will be making a tray mountain ride if anyone else wants to join.

The plan is to take the dirt road from the Unicoi Turnpike (super easy trail from what I've read) up to the parking area, we'll hop out and hike to the Tray Mountain summit for some pics and then hop back in the Jeep and take Tray Mountain Road (moderate trail) back down.

It will be my first time in the area so if you'll be joining and have some other trail suggestions I'm open to whatever. Let me know!
Let us know how it went.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let us know how it went.
It was a blast. Another Jeep pulled up to the trail as I was airing down, lifted JKUR on 35's, he was from the area and had been up Tray several times so we agreed to go up together with him leading. Most of the way up was relatively easy but still fun to ride. Some mud, streams, ruts, and lots of rocks to maneuver over/around. Then came the part of the trail where it got squirrely. Honestly, as a noob I might have turned around at this point if I was by myself, pics don't do justice to what it looks like in person. The other Jeeper cruised through this section, then hopped out and helped me pick a line. I popped it into 4lo, locked the rears, then some serious pucker factor and a few "holy sh*ts" later I made it through. Once we made it to the top my girlfriend and I parked the jeep and hiked to the summit of Tray, awesome views and perfect weather. Back in the jeep we continued on down Tray which was nothing more than a dirt/gravel road. Spent the rest of the day exploring Helen which was a cool little town.

All in all, couldn't have asked for a better day. Learned a lot about what my jeep is capable of and can't wait to hit some more technical trails. Best part is my girlfriend had blast, she was talking about wanting to buy a Jeep afterwards and we started planning a road trip to Colorado. Maybe now she won't give me such a hard time about all of the money I spend on my jeep :drinks:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I thought you might get a thrill at the culvert pipe! Happy you had a great time and fond memories formed with your partner. Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OP here - planning another Tray Mountain run this year on either Friday the 23rd or Saturday the 24th. May look for some other trails in the area to hit too. I'd like to get a small group together so let me know if you're interested

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Bummer that its closed. I'm up here for work and the weekend. Seems like a way to spend the afternoon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Check out Charlie's Creek rd. We ended up doing that instead since Tray was closed and had a good time. There are a few rough patches and baby heads along the trail so I'd recommend airing down and disconnecting for a better ride.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Thanks. I'll check it out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts