Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm just wondering for public opinion and a better buy, should I get a Teraflex Suspension lift, or a Rubicon Express one? I've heard good about both, but I need help deciding which to order! Thanks.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
teraflex and RE have top notch coils...same manufacturer (i'm not sure about specs though).
rear trackbar advantage - teraflex, although no one ever complained of an re rear trackbar bracket.
shocks - i would give RE the nod here. their monotobes are rebranded bilstein 5100's.

Here's my review of the RE and i highly recommend them.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rubicon-express-2-5-monosteins-review-254067.html

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
RE Has way better shocks and same coil manufacturer. Only component better on TF is rear track bar bracket. Unless off-roading seriously go RE

·
Super Moderator
14,573 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 2.5" RE lift kit installed by 4 wheel parts. I have no complaints about it and after more than a year still happy with the ride and the parts all still look great. I had them add a steering stabilizer too.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Happy with my RE 2.5 set up. Granted its more of a frakenlift :)
Cameron

·
Super Moderator
14,573 Posts
I agree that their options have improved and the kits are getting more complete. However, that 3.5 sport kit is $1200 and I can get a 3.5 Metalcloak Overland Elite for that $$. Not bagging on RE, they're not a bad lift and much better without cam bolts... If you want the linear springs and Bilsteins, go for it.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The RE lift kits are good but not as good as the TF or any of the high end kits. They are more on par with Rancho and OME. Lift kits are like any other product there is usually a whole range of quality and corresponding price. If you are getting top quality for near top quality price then the lift is not a good value. Also keep in mind that obtaining last 10-20% in performance and refinement is expensive so the best performing lifts kits can be disproportionately more expensive (more than 10-20%).

If you've never owned a lifted Jeep before you may not even notice the difference between the two kits other than your choice of shocks. Shocks have a large impact on ride quality and performance and many owners seem to have a strong bias to ride quality as proven by the popularity of the 9000XL shocks. So if you are new to lifting Jeeps I would pick either and focus on the shocks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the TF 2.5" coil lift with shocks installed and I am not 100% happy with the quality. I have had to replace the shocks after less than a year using them. The jeep is a DD and I haven't wheeled any harder than others I run with who have the same setup so not sure why they took a s#!+ already. I went with the Bilstein 5100s and are pleased so far with the performance up to this point. The rear springs are sagging quite a bit part of which is due to the beast of a bumper I put on...(SB XRC Atlas bumper and tire carrier which I have had for only a couple of months) I just didn't expect that much difference. The front has also seen a decrease in height as well not as significant as the rear but a definite noticeable difference... I would think that the quality TF is supposed to have would have been better than I have experienced. Still trying to figure out solutions to the sagging springs.... Just my experience...

·
Super Moderator
14,573 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,573 Posts
I have the TF 2.5" coil lift with shocks installed and I am not 100% happy with the quality. I have had to replace the shocks after less than a year using them. The jeep is a DD and I haven't wheeled any harder than others I run with who have the same setup so not sure why they took a s#!+ already. I went with the Bilstein 5100s and are pleased so far with the performance up to this point. The rear springs are sagging quite a bit part of which is due to the beast of a bumper I put on...(SB XRC Atlas bumper and tire carrier which I have had for only a couple of months) I just didn't expect that much difference. The front has also seen a decrease in height as well not as significant as the rear but a definite noticeable difference... I would think that the quality TF is supposed to have would have been better than I have experienced. Still trying to figure out solutions to the sagging springs.... Just my experience...
We don't recommend the TF shocks, just the kit without shocks and you add a premium shock, Fox - Rancho - Bilstein, etc. The TF springs aren't set for large additions of weight, that we know. I would contact TF and see what they will do for you on a set of their 3" HD springs.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Although I don't agree with all of it, here's what TF says about sagging
https://teraflex.com/news_items/5578afdf3de0f80055a5d1e3

Of course spacers are a option, or a heavier coil like pressurize mentioned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I narrowed my choices down to 3 kits

-RK 3.5 x factor
-AEV 3.5
-Rubicon Express 3.5 sport

I like the last 2 due to the control arm brackets and the high steer kits that come with them. On road manners matter most to me since the jeep also serves as the daily driver and road trip vehicle of choice. Im willing to give a little ground clearance for a better on highway ride. I like the adjustability of the rk lift just not sure of ride quality and long term effects on wear items. Such as the joints on the control arms. I need 100k reliability.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Guys, thanks a bunch for all of the replys!!!! I didn't expect this many haha. I think I'm going to go with the RE here though. It saves me more money and I feel there's more of a lean towards it than Teraflex.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I've installed the TF 4" with 8 adjustable control arms on my 2010 JKUR (34k miles on the lift) and then another of the same on my 2014 JKURX (14k miles on the lift), both installs done in my driveway with my kids helping. While I cannot comment on RE or any of the others, I can say that I am very pleased with the TF lifts.

All in all, the biggest concern I have, that no one has ever yet mentioned, is how/what needs to be done for regular servicing of any installed lift.

I am going to rebuild the flex joints on mine this weekend.

I think this should also be part of one's research into buying a lift, that is, what does it take to service or replace the components, both labor and cost considerations.

Like most everyone else, budget is also my determining factor as to what I can buy...

...just need to look down the road to see how long you plan on keeping your rig I guess?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I narrowed my choices down to 3 kits -RK 3.5 x factor -AEV 3.5 -Rubicon Express 3.5 sport I like the last 2 due to the control arm brackets and the high steer kits that come with them. On road manners matter most to me since the jeep also serves as the daily driver and road trip vehicle of choice. Im willing to give a little ground clearance for a better on highway ride. I like the adjustability of the rk lift just not sure of ride quality and long term effects on wear items. Such as the joints on the control arms. I need 100k reliability.
The AEV 3.5 does nothing with the rear control arms. You will need at minimum uppers if you own a two door. You will not be able to run 37's without a lot of trimming of the front pinch seems.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I've installed the TF 4" with 8 adjustable control arms on my 2010 JKUR and then another of the same on my 2014 JKURX, both installs done in my driveway with my kids helping. While I cannot comment on RE or any of the others, I can say that I am very pleased with the TF lifts. All in all, the biggest concern I have, that no one has ever yet mentioned, is how/what needs to be done for regular servicing of any installed lift. I am going to rebuild the flex joints on mine this weekend. I think this should also be part of one's research into buying a lift, that is, what does it take to service or replace the components, both labor and cost considerations.
You can install metal cloak joints in the bigger TF housings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts