Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 JKUR
I have both a hard top and a soft top. I have found out over the last few years, that I don't like messing with the soft top every time the weather is nice, and ultimately it is not good to go through a car wash. I have been looking at a few different hoist systems (Topsy being one of them) and wanted to see if I could get some ideas/input for the fellow hard toppers.

1. Looking for a 1 person system, that can be done quickly
2. I don't have space to store the top on a floor based system, so probably looking for something that is ceiling mounted.
3. The ceiling in my garage is "standard height" so tight as possible to the ceiling.
4. I don't to risk damage to top (bends, bows, cracks, paint, etc...).

I am guessing it would be taking off about 20 times a year, not be off the jeep for more than 2 weeks at a time (probably less due to weather and work)

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
We run a hard top in winter, and swap over to the soft top for the warmer months.
I mounted an electric hoist from harbor freight in the attic above the garage, that allows the hardtop to be hoisted all the way up to the ceiling. I just have a hole in the ceiling that the hoist comes down through. We bought a set of hard top attachment points from someone, I forget who, but there are a number of companies that sell setups to attach your hardtop to a hoist.
I don't see how a hard top will ever be as easy to take off and put on. But the hoist makes it easier and we only do it once a year, once off in the spring and once on in the fall.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait, wait, wait. A soft top is too much of a pain, but dis/mounting a hard top every other week is doable? :unsure:
Yes, I do understand how odd it sounds to suggest that the hardtop is easier to deal with than the soft top.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We run a hard top in winter, and swap over to the soft top for the warmer months.
I mounted an electric hoist from harbor freight in the attic above the garage, that allows the hardtop to be hoisted all the way up to the ceiling. I just have a hole in the ceiling that the hoist comes down through. We bought a set of hard top attachment points from someone, I forget who, but there are a number of companies that sell setups to attach your hardtop to a hoist.
I don't see how a hard top will ever be as easy to take off and put on. But the hoist makes it easier and we only do it once a year, once off in the spring and once on in the fall.

Right now I do the same swap the tops in early summer, and again some time in the fall. So far it has aways been done manually, but now have a need to get the top off the floor and out of the way. I had a good plan on how to do this for a summer/fall swap, but when I started pricing, I realized how much I would rather not use the soft top anymore.

I could probably get away with mounting an electric hoist above the ceiling.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Toplift Pro makes my HT a piece of cake to remove as opposed to using my old TT NX, even though I got that one down to about 15" before I bit the bullet and bought another HT.

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sahara
39 Posts
Right now I do the same swap the tops in early summer, and again some time in the fall. So far it has aways been done manually, but now have a need to get the top off the floor and out of the way. I had a good plan on how to do this for a summer/fall swap, but when I started pricing, I realized how much I would rather not use the soft top anymore.

I could probably get away with mounting an electric hoist above the ceiling.
So I have been doing a lot of research between doing a hoist or not and I stumbled across this product on amazon. It's out of stock now and probably a little more, but I feel like it would be a little safer. I don't even have my first jeep yet and I have heard horror stories about hoists malfunctioning and the hard top dropping and busting. I'd probably puke if that happened to me. I found a good hoist today but haven't pulled the trigger. It's about a third of the cost of this mechanism, but this mechanism seems great! Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I would like to have the hoist put in by time my jeep is delivered if at all possible though if that is the route I go with.

Amazon.com: RollnJack Hard Top Removal Lift for Jeeps: 2007 -to- Present Jeeps (JK & JL), 2 and 4-Door Jeeps, Lifted Jeeps. Quick and Easy Assembly! Take Off Your Top in a Matter of Minutes : Automotive

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
So I have been doing a lot of research between doing a hoist or not and I stumbled across this product on amazon. It's out of stock now and probably a little more, but I feel like it would be a little safer. I don't even have my first jeep yet and I have heard horror stories about hoists malfunctioning and the hard top dropping and busting. I'd probably puke if that happened to me. I found a good hoist today but haven't pulled the trigger. It's about a third of the cost of this mechanism, but this mechanism seems great! Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I would like to have the hoist put in by time my jeep is delivered if at all possible though if that is the route I go with.

Amazon.com: RollnJack Hard Top Removal Lift for Jeeps: 2007 -to- Present Jeeps (JK & JL), 2 and 4-Door Jeeps, Lifted Jeeps. Quick and Easy Assembly! Take Off Your Top in a Matter of Minutes : Automotive
There are a number of hard top lifts like that out there. A real nice one seems to be from Top Lift Pros. But there are others. I though about getting the Top Lift Pros lift, but for a lot less money I was able to install the electric hoist in the ceiling. And that not only lifts the hard top off but holds it there all summer long, so it is not in my way. My garage has too much stuff already, and I did not need the hardtop and lift taking up valuable floor space.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I also have a toplift pro, highly recommend it, off and on in a few minutes and stores it very securely. You can also leave on your spiderweb shade if you have one as it doesn't impede the process of removal or reinstallation.

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sahara
39 Posts
I also have a toplift pro, highly recommend it, off and on in a few minutes and stores it very securely. You can also leave on your spiderweb shade if you have one as it doesn't impede the process of removal or reinstallation.
This is essentially the one from Amazon. I like both of these. Seem a lot more safe and I need it to be that my wife can back it in and take the top off without me being there if needed and then pull our 86 Chevy back in the garage with the top over the hood without fear of it falling on the hood.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Toplift Pro makes my HT a piece of cake to remove as opposed to using my old TT NX, even though I got that one down to about 15" before I bit the bullet and bought another HT.
This thread took up speed a little faster than expected!

I agree that some thing like a HT is probably the fastest, easiest, and safest way to lift the top off. The issue for me will be that it is a floor based system, we back into the garage (busy street), so it would be in the way alot.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I have had Jeeps for many years. Way back in the mid 90s I bought a winch from Harbor Freight. It is on the wall with pullies going up and over to the ceiling. I have experimented will all kinds of ways to hook to the hard top. The system I use right now is very secure. Four ratchet straps merging into the hoist hook. On the ends of the straps I have added brass eyelets (grommets) and cotter pin bolts that go through the hard top bolt mount spots.

I can do this myself with the winch but it is usually about a 30 minute process to remove the soft top and put the hard top back on.

I usually switch them out once or twice a year depending on what trips I have lined up. A long driving trip is better done with a hard top.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Long trips is one of the reasons that I prefer the hard top. I make about 12 one way trips a year at 4.5-5hrs each.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Reactions: Dusty Duster

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - Manual
77 Posts
I mounted an electric hoist from harbor freight in the attic above the garage, that allows the hardtop to be hoisted all the way up to the ceiling. I just have a hole in the ceiling that the hoist comes down through...
This is what I did for my daughter, who has a 2020 JLU. She's a tiny little thing (unlike her dad) at 5'3" and removes/installs her hardtop easily by herself. I've never worried about the hoist failing and I have the exact same one in my own garage holding up some heavy wood working machinery I don't often use.

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sahara
39 Posts
This is what I did for my daughter, who has a 2020 JLU. She's a tiny little thing (unlike her dad) at 5'3" and removes/installs her hardtop easily by herself. I've never worried about the hoist failing and I have the exact same one in my own garage holding up some heavy wood working machinery I don't often use.
My biggest issue is our garage ceiling is lower hanging, I think 8' ceilings and I have no way to get up above it between it and the roof.

·
Registered
675 Posts
This thread took up speed a little faster than expected!

I agree that some thing like a HT is probably the fastest, easiest, and safest way to lift the top off. The issue for me will be that it is a floor based system, we back into the garage (busy street), so it would be in the way alot.
I had a floor cart for the HT which made it stand vertically prior to the Top Lift and I think that actually took up more space. You can pull forward or backward with the top dismounted as you can lift it up so it doesn't interfere with your Jeep.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you post a link to the hoist you are referring too, along wi th any pictures of the setup that you may have?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I saw a few of those when I was looking earlier. What are you using the Topsy brackets on the rear?
Yep, click in the HK style clips and run the front strap under top/over shades and hook up a drill and start lifting......wait, forgot about the damn wiper attachments AGAIN....unhook those and voila.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts