Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - Manual
82 Posts
Can you post a link to the hoist you are referring too, along wi th any pictures of the setup that you may have?
Here is the one I bought, both for myself (non-Jeep related) and for my daughter. I don't have any pictures but can take some the next time I visit her place. But I can tell you I set it up using straps that she sets up when lifting it. We actually talked this weekend about my making something a little more "structural", akin to some of the systems you see on line. But what she has works well. I only wish I had room in my garage to do it now that I have a Jeep of my own...lol.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
My biggest issue is our garage ceiling is lower hanging, I think 8' ceilings and I have no way to get up above it between it and the roof.
It's a problem if you have low ceilings and have to surface mount the hoist. That is my exact situation I'm in since I didn't climb in the attic. But I'm using it to get a large lathe out of my way since I don't use it very often.

Thinking out loud, you may be able to use a pulley directly over where you want to lift the roof with the hoist off to one side. You would then only deal with the "height" of the pulley itself instead of the entire hoist. The tops weigh far less than the capability of the hoist I linked above so I'm thinking it might work using a pulley. Again, just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have relatively low beams in my garage, and i can attest that it is an issue. I went with the Hoist-A-Top Simple, which is just pulleys and a hand crank. It works, but I don't love it. It doesn't do a great job of distributing the weight, so it ends up tilting forward. I adjusted it multiple times and the best I could get it barely clears the the roll bars in the front (I am lifted on 35's though). I ended up just attaching a couple ratchet straps to the holes in the front to the rafters, to pull it up all the way.

There's no way I could easily back in under it on the regular. It takes me a few tries to get lined up correctly (it's not perfectly straight) when I'm backing in to put it back on. Going in forward is no problem though.

If I had to do it again, if probably go the powered hoist mounted on the wall and put the pulleys above the rafters to gain another few inches. It's not just the height of the pulleys, but also the slack in the cables for the elevator bolts & hook/straps.

This was a pic before I switched to ratchet straps.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sahara
40 Posts
I have relatively low beams in my garage, and i can attest that it is an issue. I went with the Hoist-A-Top Simple, which is just pulleys and a hand crank. It works, but I don't love it. It doesn't do a great job of distributing the weight, so it ends up tilting forward. I adjusted it multiple times and the best I could get it barely clears the the roll bars in the front (I am lifted on 35's though). I ended up just attaching a couple ratchet straps to the holes in the front to the rafters, to pull it up all the way.

There's no way I could easily back in under it on the regular. It takes me a few tries to get lined up correctly (it's not perfectly straight) when I'm backing in to put it back on. Going in forward is no problem though.

If I had to do it again, if probably go the powered hoist mounted on the wall and put the pulleys above the rafters to gain another few inches. It's not just the height of the pulleys, but also the slack in the cables for the elevator bolts & hook/straps.

This was a pic before I switched to ratchet straps.

View attachment 4522457
This is what has me leaning towards the moveable lift thing. I want it to where the wife can back in and do it herself. With the moveable lift she can back halfway in the garage and then roll it forward until it's lined up and lower it down, no issues. I feel she would have trouble lining it up and same for me and then we would both be annoyed lol. I still haven't made up my mind yet. When my father in law and his brother redid the garage (house was remodeled when I was on my last year of active duty in another state so I couldn't assist nor did I really get a say so since it was only my wife there and she didn't think about it) they put insulation and then covered the entire ceiling with ply wood. Other option is I could cut a hole in the ceiling in order to get the hoist up above, but it would have to be a descent sized hole in order to give me room to get in there and make sure it was mounted good.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use the Lange hoist but it is mounted in a pole barn with 10' ceiling. Takes ten minutes or less to remove or install. No tools required with the knob topped bolts from GPCA (?).

·
Registered
236 Posts
I owned a 2017 2dr Willys and I only had the Premium Soft Top, I will admit here that I was perfectly happy with this top and 95% of the time I just fouled the front part of the top back and used it that way, I also did remove the rear tail gate glass for more air flow at times. I personally like the ease of use of the soft top and as far as comfort for the heat and A/C use it worked well for me and I live in Texas, it was the Premium Soft Top so I can't say if the base soft top would work as well for me as the Premium top is a much heavier duty material. I'm now wanting to order a new 2022 and the top question for me is coming up again and I thinking the Premium Soft Top is the way I want to go just because of it's easy of use. The hard top just doesn't give me the freedom of having a top with me all the time and being prepared for all weather conditions. For me the Jeep is a TOY and I don't use it as a daily driver, so the soft top just fits me better.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Here is the one I bought, both for myself (non-Jeep related) and for my daughter. I don't have any pictures but can take some the next time I visit her place. But I can tell you I set it up using straps that she sets up when lifting it. We actually talked this weekend about my making something a little more "structural", akin to some of the systems you see on line. But what she has works well. I only wish I had room in my garage to do it now that I have a Jeep of my own...lol.

Thanks!

I am starting to narrow down to, two options:
- RACOR style lift with Topsy kit - (system seems stable due to 4 lift points, but a little flimsy material construction))
- a power hoist (mounted above the ceiling), Unistrut frame, and Topsy kit - (Less stable due to single point lift off of frame, but not flimsy)

Other info
The Jeep has 35s, with a Lift that is netting out to 4", so total height over factor is about 6"
Floor to ceiling is about 9.5ft at the back bumper
Daily driver (however due to changes in the world, I do not necessarily drive every day)

The soft top I have is a OEM premium top, has only been used for 3 seasons (I did not swap the top in 2020), and 2 piece alien sun shades. I do notice that sound and heat are more noticeable in the soft top, but not overly significant. I have also noticed that the temp between my sunshade and top is higher than the cab. One other odd thing that I noticed is that I seem to loose 1-2 MPG on my long drive trips with the soft top

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, as relates to mine:

My garage is 10', have plenty of room to walk under the top while hanging.
The Racor is pretty sturdy IMO, I don't have any concerns about it coming down.
My Jeep is on 35's and my lift nets 2.75" so a little lower.

Main reason I did this instead of hoist was that I had ZERO desire to go into the attic and jack around with installing frame, mainly due to heat and low clearance where mine is.

I agree with your assessment on the top (although mine is a Bestop premium), but for me well worth the flexibility I gained.

Also: I have plenty of clearance so I didn't mess with it, but I could have cut the cable and done away with the doubled over portion and gained another 6" if necessary.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
@gjk5dave
What is the distance between the ceiling and the bottom of the top (when hoisted)?

To be faaaaaaair, I have not seen a Racor first hand, just going off of video's and photo's. I also have not been able to find the Racor in-stock yet, but there I did find one like it from Fleximounts.

I have an attic access in my garage, with plenty of head room in that area of the attic. I do however not want to have to get into the attic repeatedly (I do about once every year or 2 now), I also Don't want the a hot attic to cause a hoist to fail (I don't think it would, but never tried), and I plan to insulate above the garage at some point, so will need to find away to create an air dam if I do.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have the hoist a top (manual not electric). I take the top off each spring and run the hard top all winter. It is a simple process, only 6 bolts to remove and the freedom tops rest on stop in some brackets. I wouldn't want to take it on and off every week or so but twice a year it is perfect, and can be done in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
That’s what I like about the TP Lift, I DO take mine off and put back on every couple days/week or so, depending on the weather forecast. The greatest thing since sliced bread are the aftermarket large metal handle screws that hold down the top to the frame. Jeep should’ve gone with something like this in lieu of those small bolts. https://assets.thiecommerce.com/pro...0/fff/80/259b1e673d05fb75fa5648c1ff0547a4.jpg

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sahara
40 Posts
That’s what I like about the TP Lift, I DO take mine off and put back on every couple days/week or so, depending on the weather forecast. The greatest thing since sliced bread are the aftermarket large metal handle screws that hold down the top to the frame. Jeep should’ve gone with something like this in lieu of those small bolts. https://assets.thiecommerce.com/pro...0/fff/80/259b1e673d05fb75fa5648c1ff0547a4.jpg
how do those bolts work on the two on the top of the hardtop near the rear of the freedom tops?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
For those that treat their HT like and ST, how many of the fastner's do your use while in "summer mode"?
6x rear tub
2x front far edges
2x front above center console

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sahara
40 Posts
Question for the group. Has anyone installed an electric hoist without access to the attic in the garage? My garage ceiling was created with plywood as there really isn't an attic and sealed shut. That being said, I am wanting to install a hoist for the hard top when my jeep comes in but trying to see if there is a safe way to to do this without cutting a hole in my ceiling just to access the trusses. Any recommendations? I guess, worst case, I can cut a hole in the ceiling to get the metal bar that I will mount the hoist to and then use brackets to mount that to the trusses. That is probably the safest way, but just seeing if someone has been able to install with similar scenario as I. I will probably see if I am able to take one of the pieces of ply wood off tonight when I am home.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I mentioned before I installed one for my daughter. It was originally installed in a rental house she had that had tall enough garage ceilings and no attic access. I actually mounted the hoist to a piece of 2x6 and then simply mounted the 2x6 to the garage ceiling hitting a couple of studs with very hefty and long lag screws. It worked perfectly but your ceilings have to be high enough. When she bought her place and moved out of the rental, it was a simple patching of two holes and no one was the wiser.

But as mentioned by @DizkoDan above, you could wall mount the lift and utilize pulleys as well.

·
Premium Member
2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon
414 Posts
I have a manual Lange hoist. It stores the top up into the ceiling of the garage and has storage on the top for freedom panels. Once it's up there, I can pull in underneath it like shown by others. I admit, I was disappointed with what I got vs. what I paid. In retrospect, I probably could have gotten away with a couple of 2x4s and long ratchet straps bolted up there for much less... but it works.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts