Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
@gjk5dave
What is the distance between the ceiling and the bottom of the top (when hoisted)?

To be faaaaaaair, I have not seen a Racor first hand, just going off of video's and photo's. I also have not been able to find the Racor in-stock yet, but there I did find one like it from Fleximounts.

I have an attic access in my garage, with plenty of head room in that area of the attic. I do however not want to have to get into the attic repeatedly (I do about once every year or 2 now), I also Don't want the a hot attic to cause a hoist to fail (I don't think it would, but never tried), and I plan to insulate above the garage at some point, so will need to find away to create an air dam if I do.

Sorry, just saw this.

45 1/2" from ceiling to bottom of top
Again: could get rid of about 7+" of eye bolt and cable if I needed to and get it under 40"

·
Registered
208 Posts
For those that treat their HT like and ST, how many of the fastner's do your use while in "summer mode"?
6x rear tub
2x front far edges
2x front above center console

I use all, but I use a impact and socket with wobble extension, it really only takes a couple of minutes. Have thought about the knurled nuts with the "handle", it would 100% take longer than using a power tool and I never remove any of it other than in the garage so why do it by hand? And it's cordless so I guess it would work anywhere anyway.....

The stupid "cups" for the freedom panels I obviously have to do by hand but I only use those during full on winter when they will never come off and have been thinking of converting them to something I could use a tool on.

I use the same driver (different bit) for the doors too, not sure why you would do any of it by hand.

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sahara
40 Posts
So, the wife and I went with the Lange Power Hoist-a-Top. Was a little more than I found some other ideas, but with only 8' ceilings, this seems like the best option. Only downside is it was backordered till Nov. 11th, but that's not a big deal for 2 reasons...1) Our Jeep hasn't been delivered to the dealership and wont for at least another 4 weeks and 2) won't be removing the top during the winter, lol. It actually works out because I will be able to back the Jeep in now and get a better picture as to where to install the hoist and pulley. The 86 Chevy Pickup should back in right underneath it with a couple inches left of wiggle room.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I use all, but I use a impact and socket with wobble extension, it really only takes a couple of minutes. Have thought about the knurled nuts with the "handle", it would 100% take longer than using a power tool and I never remove any of it other than in the garage so why do it by hand? And it's cordless so I guess it would work anywhere anyway.....

The stupid "cups" for the freedom panels I obviously have to do by hand but I only use those during full on winter when they will never come off and have been thinking of converting them to something I could use a tool on.

I use the same driver (different bit) for the doors too, not sure why you would do any of it by hand.

I do have a tool that makes it easier/faster to deal do the "cups" by hand. I thought I had seen a power adaptor in the past, but can't seem to find it now:
https://www.amazon.com/2007-2016-Jeep-Wrangler-Panel-Removal/dp/B016V9YN10

40" off the ceiling is still hitting my head, however I do not need to store the freedom panels on top of the top. I want to say that the hardtop is 28" tall, so if I can keep the add to that, to about 6-8" I would be very happy. 10" probably be about the limit for where I am looking to store this thing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Did some searching and found pretty much what I now thinking of in my head. Guy did a great job of showing his setup:

Video of the 5mins it takes them to get it off:

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sahara
40 Posts
So the Flange hoist-a-top we ordered today said ship date projected of Nov 11 on Quadratec website. Got out to my car and had a shipping notification and it will be here Thursday lol. Oh and it’s on sale for $320 w/ free shipping.

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sahara
40 Posts
Not a hardtop hoist but the first part of my door holder complete. Need to glue it together and add the foam padding and secure it to the dolly and we will be ready to rock and roll.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive parking light Automotive tire

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Am I the only one who can easily take my hardtop off alone by hand? I just sit on the tailgate and pretty much stand and walk with the roof. It's end heavy.

I could see how removing the hardtop and going like that would be easier. I use my impact like the others.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The greatest thing since sliced bread are the aftermarket large metal handle screws that hold down the top to the frame. Jeep should’ve gone with something like this in lieu of those small bolts. https://assets.thiecommerce.com/pro...0/fff/80/259b1e673d05fb75fa5648c1ff0547a4.jpg
I actually prefer the bolts, a Milwaukee 12v ratchet zips them on and off quickly. I had something similar to those knobs back in the day for my YJ and they were definitely handy before Jeep included the little tool kit. If jeep were to switch to a knob style fastener, I think it should include a recess for a torx bit as well. Best of both worlds. (y)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Am I the only one who can easily take my hardtop off alone by hand? I just sit on the tailgate and pretty much stand and walk with the roof. It's end heavy.

I could see how removing the hardtop and going like that would be easier. I use my impact like the others.
For me, and I imagine most other folks, one of the key benefits of a hoist is the storage component. Hard tops take up a good chunk of real estate, so I didn't want to lose the floor space that any of the other stands would need.

Also, I'm assuming you have a 2 door, cuz I can't see anyone handling the 4 door top on their own. It's super awkward even with 2 people.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is that some kind of soft top, with a sunscreen underneath on your jeep?

Edit:
I think i figured it out, a Trektop NX
You got it, Trektop NX with blue mesh shade underneath.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
For me, and I imagine most other folks, one of the key benefits of a hoist is the storage component. Hard tops take up a good chunk of real estate, so I didn't want to lose the floor space that any of the other stands would need.
This.

I got a hoist primarily for the storage.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts

I remove the JK by myself….. the JKU I am not too proud to say “no way”

·
Registered
2021 JLU Sahara
40 Posts
Most of the Lange Hoist-a-Top is set up. Waiting for the Jeep to come in before I install the pullies on the ceiling. Want to wait so I verify I get it just right. Also realized I had one of the foam pieces upside down and it’s fixed now since the pic.
Wood Electricity Wall Brickwork Hardwood
Wood Machine gun Line Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
855 Posts
Nice work. I wish the plans that are out there were revised. The base of the rear doors is narrower than the base of the rack. So they will sit off kelter. There should be a cross bar on the base with a pad. I'm in the process of making another door holder with it.

My kids took the other ones for bike racks in the garage.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts