Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put a Bestop Trektop NX on my '09 2dr JK with half doors. The install went great for the most part and I'm pretty happy with the top...Except for the center straps. They provide a short strap piece with a hook that's supposed to hook into the hole in the roll bar your sound bar sits around, then buckle into the center buckles on the top. However, I can't get mine tight enough to provide any real tension on the top at all, cause when I pull them tight I get to the doubled-over/sewn part of the hook end of the strap, and there's no way I'm going to get that to feed through the second lock on the buckle.

Here's the factory strap setup...It's so loose that the hook occasionally works out on its own, and it can't be pulled tighter cause of the way the strap is designed.

Apparently the 2dr and 4dr Trektop NX is different in this area; the 4dr flap is much shorter while the 2dr one puts the buckles even or slightly below the edge of the rollbar where the strap for the hook comes over.

I wrote to Bestop, they said, "you're doing it wrong, the clip isn't inserted right," but they've been unable to tell me what I'm doing wrong or provide pics of how one should look when installed. Do any of you have pics of your center straps on your Trektop NX?

I bought some extra 1"-strap plastic hooks from Strapworks and had someone (thanks, mom!) sew a 16" piece of 1" nylon strap onto those hooks, then double-over/sew the other end. I put the hook into the top hole on the rollbar, then run the strap down and around the sound bar, getting to the buckle in the original location. Doing it this way, I can snug down the top's center straps pretty tightly. Bestop said they've not seen anyone do it that way and that they'd be worried about the hook rubbing on the top material, but it's nowhere near touching the top fabric cause the rollbar hole is inset quite a bit from the top of the sound bar, which the top fabric rests on. Yes, the nylon strap touches the top, but...No worries there.

Here's my top-hook/strap setup, which actually works.

The last response I got from Bestop was:

Josh,

I double checked the strap hook and that's in the correct place, I don't know why the strap isn't getting tight.

Thank You
Bestop Customer Service

I've never got, "wow, that sucks," from a vendor before without even the offer of any kind of resolution, and I am somewhat disappointed with that type of reply.

So what am I doing wrong with my center hooks? Anybody else got a pic of theirs, or had trouble with theirs with this top? Do you think my fix is a decent one?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Mine is the same way and from what I have read from others on here, theirs is that way too. Folks have used a variety of different solutions. I just leave mine as it but it never is tight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I suppose I should be happy that others' 2dr Trektop NXes are the same way, but disappointed that Bestop would put out such a crappy strap arrangement and then tell people to make those straps snug/tight in the directions. Even stranger is the difference between the 2dr and 4dr tops in this area.

Oh well. I'll complain to them, then probably post my solution everywhere I can, cause it seems to do a good job. The top was so loose it was making quite a bit of noise slapping against the front bow when I was running without the windows...Maybe my setup will help with that. I'll report back once I take the windows out again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A lot of us use those bungee ball ties to hold the center tight. You run the tie up through the hole, around the back of the soundbar and hook the strap from the NX to it.

There are pictures here on the forum somewhere. Just do a search and you'll find them.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I ziptie the center bar on the ends around the sound bar.
I mainly use the sunrider feature and leave the soft top on with the windows out.
The reason I have to do this is the sunshade. So when I pull the top off the sunshade is already there.

·
Vendor
5,412 Posts
Hey there,

Working on this now, thank you for sending the FB message :)

CassieAtBestop
So I put a Bestop Trektop NX on my '09 2dr JK with half doors. The install went great for the most part and I'm pretty happy with the top...Except for the center straps. They provide a short strap piece with a hook that's supposed to hook into the hole in the roll bar your sound bar sits around, then buckle into the center buckles on the top. However, I can't get mine tight enough to provide any real tension on the top at all, cause when I pull them tight I get to the doubled-over/sewn part of the hook end of the strap, and there's no way I'm going to get that to feed through the second lock on the buckle.

Here's the factory strap setup...It's so loose that the hook occasionally works out on its own, and it can't be pulled tighter cause of the way the strap is designed.

Apparently the 2dr and 4dr Trektop NX is different in this area; the 4dr flap is much shorter while the 2dr one puts the buckles even or slightly below the edge of the rollbar where the strap for the hook comes over.

I wrote to Bestop, they said, "you're doing it wrong, the clip isn't inserted right," but they've been unable to tell me what I'm doing wrong or provide pics of how one should look when installed. Do any of you have pics of your center straps on your Trektop NX?

I bought some extra 1"-strap plastic hooks from Strapworks and had someone (thanks, mom!) sew a 16" piece of 1" nylon strap onto those hooks, then double-over/sew the other end. I put the hook into the top hole on the rollbar, then run the strap down and around the sound bar, getting to the buckle in the original location. Doing it this way, I can snug down the top's center straps pretty tightly. Bestop said they've not seen anyone do it that way and that they'd be worried about the hook rubbing on the top material, but it's nowhere near touching the top fabric cause the rollbar hole is inset quite a bit from the top of the sound bar, which the top fabric rests on. Yes, the nylon strap touches the top, but...No worries there.

Here's my top-hook/strap setup, which actually works.

The last response I got from Bestop was:

Josh,

I double checked the strap hook and that's in the correct place, I don't know why the strap isn't getting tight.

Thank You
Bestop Customer Service

I've never got, "wow, that sucks," from a vendor before without even the offer of any kind of resolution, and I am somewhat disappointed with that type of reply.

So what am I doing wrong with my center hooks? Anybody else got a pic of theirs, or had trouble with theirs with this top? Do you think my fix is a decent one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should add that once I got to someone that did more than tell me I was doing it wrong with no follow-up, Bestop has been incredibly good at listening to someone that has a concern with their products. Good on them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I picked up a '15 two door a few weeks ago that has a Trektop NX on it and encountered the same problem. It was missing the hooks, so I ordered replacements from Bestop. The design is awful and never should have made it through testing.

I'm not a fan of the bungeed/ziptied together look, so I picked up some one inch webbing, snaked it through the mushroom head/hook holes to the top of the sound bar on the driver's side, ran it to the passenger side and snaked it back down. I would guess that I used about 3 1/2 feet of webbing total. I have some plastic snap-in bushings that I'll pop into the holes next week to prevent fraying of the webbing over time.

I'll take some pictures when I finish prepping for the hurricane, though I won't be able to take the top off until afterward. It really should have come like this from the Bestop.

·
Vendor
5,412 Posts
Hey there,

Shoot me a PM with your email and i will get you in touch with our CS rep, they need to troubleshoot each individually. Thanks!

*CassieAtBestop

Hey Cassie, when you figure it out can you post something up on here. I've got the same problem. Just figured it was the way it was.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, the rep wasn't wrong. It's definitely normal.

The (two door) design is flawed in its factory configuration. I guess I need to put the hooks back in and record a short drive on the highway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I asked Bestop the question about the straps being loose and was told this is correct and normal.
On the 2dr tops, yes. On the 4dr tops, the straps can be tightened. This makes it pretty clear that someone did something wrong when they drew up the 2dr top...Probably not intentionally, but it's still not right.

clever_pseudonym: I thought about doing the same thing. Maybe I could get my wife to video a hook falling out while driving, too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should say it may be normal for the 2dr tops, but it sure as hell isn't "correct." I think the CS person you talked to blew you off, just like the one I talked to did before I made my big post on Facebook that finally got Bestop's attention.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I ran the straps down from the top of the sound bar rather than hooking the clips in the holes. That gave me enough strap to actually tighten them up.

Now, if Bestop would just make the rear bow bar a little less flexible, I'd be perfectly happy with the top.

As it is, the rear bow bar flexes enough that if you're running doorless and windowless, over 60 mph or so, the bar flexes and I get a lot of flapping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I wonder if Bestop fixed this yet, or just sand-bagged on the whole thing. Hopefully they'll respond again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now, if Bestop would just make the rear bow bar a little less flexible, I'd be perfectly happy with the top.

As it is, the rear bow bar flexes enough that if you're running doorless and windowless, over 60 mph or so, the bar flexes and I get a lot of flapping.
Yeah, the top is noisy as hell with no windows and at highway speed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts