Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just put a new trektop nx on my LJ around a week ago and the thing is so stinking loud. I'm new to jeeps and this is my first softtop - read great reviews about the trektop and thought they looked sharp on LJ's too so thought I'd try it.
Pretty much there is a loud thumping noise from the top center region.. the top flaps a lot and is noticeable but feels tight. I had a friend who I would consider a jeep expert look at it and he was stumped although he doesn't know much about frameless tops. I thought I would resort to this forum for answers- thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
5,681 Posts
Hey all,
Just put a new trektop nx on my LJ around a week ago and the thing is so stinking loud. I'm new to jeeps and this is my first softtop - read great reviews about the trektop and thought they looked sharp on LJ's too so thought I'd try it.
Pretty much there is a loud thumping noise from the top center region.. the top flaps a lot and is noticeable but feels tight. I had a friend who I would consider a jeep expert look at it and he was stumped although he doesn't know much about frameless tops. I thought I would resort to this forum for answers- thanks in advance!
Hey there,

You can call our Customer Service team as well and they can troubleshoot it for you. 1-800-845-3567. *CassieAtBestop

·
Registered
536 Posts
Do you have the bar installed that goes in between the door surrounds? I forget to put mine in sometimes and it makes a big difference. If you didn't put it in, that would probably resolve your issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to the world of soft tops... I plan on getting a Gr8 top safari top in the near future because of the road noise I have with my soft top. However, bestop and other companies make a aftermarket cross brace to go across the driver/pass roll bars and arches up to reduce wind flapping. Hope this helps a little..

·
Registered
536 Posts
Welcome to the world of soft tops... I plan on getting a Gr8 top safari top in the near future because of the road noise I have with my soft top. However, bestop and other companies make a aftermarket cross brace to go across the driver/pass roll bars and arches up to reduce wind flapping. Hope this helps a little..
My crossbar that I mentioned earlier just came with my top, don't think it is something that you have to buy as an extra.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought a Bestop replacement top for my TJ years ago. Had it for 2 days and returned it because of noise. Found a very good condition OEM top on-line and have been happy since. Some parts should only be OEM parts. (Just like generic cereals can't compare to the originals.)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just installed a Bestop Trektop NX on my TJ and so far its a great top. Havent gone far with it yet. And theyre calling for rain today sometime so I will see if its gonna be a leaker as almost all soft tops are apt to do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a Bestop replacement top for my TJ years ago. Had it for 2 days and returned it because of noise. Found a very good condition OEM top on-line and have been happy since. Some parts should only be OEM parts. (Just like generic cereals can't compare to the originals.)

Do you know what the return policy is for bestop? I'm going to call on Monday once they're open and see what they advise. If it was cheaper I'd prob just put up with it, but I think this is unacceptable. Drove it home from the beach today and with windows up and air on the noise is... bearable. But once windows were put down it was crazy loud.. i had to pull over and put back the sunrider

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have the bar installed that goes in between the door surrounds? I forget to put mine in sometimes and it makes a big difference. If you didn't put it in, that would probably resolve your issues.
And yeah I installed that initially, doesn't seem to do much lol

·
Registered
536 Posts
And yeah I installed that initially, doesn't seem to do much lol
You must live in a warmer climate than Ontario and your fabric must be really loose from the heat. My biggest complaint about my NX is that I can never fully zip any of my zippers because it seems to be too tight, maybe this is why you are getting so much noise.

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
Are you running the A/C on recirc or with outside air? My Bestop replace-a-top on my Rubicon is tight, but on recirc the air is sucked out the vent on the tailgate and the top and windows are sucked in so I get the rumble off the top. However, with the selector on any outside air position, I have positive air pressure inside, the top and windows are slightly bowed out and no top noise.

Because of the high temps and humidity in the summer, I start on recirc but as soon as the Jeep is cooled down, if shift to outside air.

Reactions: T.Wagner

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Are you running the A/C on recirc or with outside air? My Bestop replace-a-top on my Rubicon is tight, but on recirc the air is sucked out the vent on the tailgate and the top and windows are sucked in so I get the rumble off the top. However, with the selector on any outside air position, I have positive air pressure inside, the top and windows are slightly bowed out and no top noise.

Because of the high temps and humidity in the summer, I start on recirc but as soon as the Jeep is cooled down, if shift to outside air.
This is a good suggestion. I have a Rampage top which is eh... I also did some modifications to my soft top frame (installed a DIY sunrider top) which seems to have loosened it up as well. If I drive on the freeway the windows flap like crazy, but if I have AC or vent on with outside air it keeps positive pressure in the cab and keeps the windows and top tighter.

But I mean, you're running a soft top now... It definitely will not be as quiet as a hard top.

G

·
If you need a quieter top, do not get a frameless on an LJ. Get a factory style. You get some noise in the rear portion it being so long with no middle support (Like the 4 Door JK has) I have the NX and have had it on for 2 years and the "noise" does not bother me. I love it. I will also say that after mine "relaxed" a little the noise deadened some. If Bestop made anything in Twill for the LJ I would suggest that. hint hint Bestop, we need a Twill LJ top!

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
I like my Twill top. It's a little quieter than a sailcloth top, but still flaps if I have the windows open, or if I have the AC on recirculate. I've noticed that the top doesn't flap as loudly with the prop bar in, but the prop bar itself will make a lot of racket.

Nothing the stereo can't cover up...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been running my LJ Trektop NX for a couple months now. Coming from hardtop there is definitely more road noise, but I don't have any flapping issues. I live in Florida where the top will warm and be as loose as anywhere else. I have noticed what others are saying about the A/C on rainy days and it will make a bit more noise if I've got a really strong cross wind coming off the gulf, but again mine doesn't flap much at all. I've actually been really surprised with how quiet it's been. Where is yours making noise from? I'm sure a few small tweaks would fix the problem. Feel free to PM me if you want as mine took some tweaks on the initial break in period to get it to be "quiet".

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you know what the return policy is for bestop? I'm going to call on Monday once they're open and see what they advise. If it was cheaper I'd prob just put up with it, but I think this is unacceptable. Drove it home from the beach today and with windows up and air on the noise is... bearable. But once windows were put down it was crazy loud.. i had to pull over and put back the sunrider
Wish I could remember, but this was over 10 years ago. I do remember it was VERY easy to return.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts